Determinants of the international performance of services: a conceptual model
AbstractCountless determinants of export success that are supposed to help managers reduce the failure rates of export ventures have been identified. Despite this abundance of studies, however, little is known about the determinants of the internationalization success of services. In this paper, based on prior studies focusing primarily on manufactured goods and the key characteristics distinguishing services from goods, a comprehensive conceptual model for the successful internationalization of services is developed. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 2007/17.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Garystr. 21, 14195 Berlin (Dahlem)
Phone: (030) 838 2272
Fax: (030) 838 2129
Web page: http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/en/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Services; export performance; internationalization; success factors;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tamer Cavusgil, S. & (Manek) Kirpalani, V. H., 1993. "Introducing products into export markets: Success factors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Majocchi, Antonio & Bacchiocchi, Emanuele & Mayrhofer, Ulrike, 2005. "Firm size, business experience and export intensity in SMEs: A longitudinal approach to complex relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 719-738, December.
- Robertson, Christopher & Chetty, Sylvie K., 2000. "A contingency-based approach to understanding export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 211-235, April.
- N. Sheth, Jagdish & Parvatiyar, Atul, 1995. "Relationship marketing," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 391-396.
- Darby, Michael R & Karni, Edi, 1973. "Free Competition and the Optimal Amount of Fraud," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 67-88, April.
- Lages, Carmen & Lages, Cristiana Raquel & Lages, Luis Filipe, 2004.
"The relqual scale: a measure of relationship quality in export market ventures,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp447, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Lages, Carmen & Lages, Cristiana Raquel & Lages, Luis Filipe, 2005. "The RELQUAL scale: a measure of relationship quality in export market ventures," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(8), pages 1040-1048, August.
- Czepiel, John A., 1990. "Service encounters and service relationships: Implications for research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 13-21, January.
- Nelson, Phillip, 1970. "Information and Consumer Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 311-29, March-Apr.
- J J Boddewyn & Marsha Baldwin Halbrich & A C Perry, 1986. "Service Multinationals: Conceptualization, Measurement and Theory," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 41-57, September.
- Calantone, Roger J. & Kim, Daekwan & Schmidt, Jeffrey B. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "The influence of internal and external firm factors on international product adaptation strategy and export performance: A three-country comparison," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 176-185, February.
- A. Gourlay & J. Seaton, 2004. "Explaining the decision to export: evidence from UK firms," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 153-158.
- López Rodríguez, José & García Rodríguez, Rafael M., 2005. "Technology and export behaviour: A resource-based view approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 539-557, October.
- Piercy, Nigel F & Kaleka, Anna & Katsikeas, Constantine S, 1998. "Sources of competitive advantage in high performing exporting companies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 378-393, January.
- Sheth, Jagdish N. & Parvatiyar, Atul, 1995. "The evolution of relationship marketing," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 397-418.
- Robert G Cooper & Elko J Kleinschmidt, 1985. "The Impact of Export Strategy on Export Sales Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 37-55, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.