An Empirical Investigation of Factors Influencing Exporting Success of Brazilian Firms
AbstractOne hundred and fifty-two Brazilian companies that were exporting in 1978 were interviewed again six years later in 1984 to determine the factors that were correlated with the continuance of exporting. Firm characteristics, export management practices and manager perceptions were each found to be correlated with exporting success thus supporting the basic contention that it is possible to predict export performance. Firms that discontinued exporting relied more on the Brazilian government export incentives, possibly to be competitive in international markets without making the necessary structural changes, thereby raising important questions about the long-run of the Brazilian export programs.© 1987 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1987) 18, 61–77
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 18 (1987)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- BOEHE, Dirk Michael, 2009. "Corporate Social Responsibility, Product Differentiation Strategy and Export Performance," Ibmec Working Papers wpe_186, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Dirk Boehe & Luciano Barin Cruz, 2010. "Corporate Social Responsibility, Product Differentiation Strategy and Export Performance," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 91(2), pages 325-346, February.
- Jensen, Kimberly L. & Davis, George C., 1998. "An Analysis Of Export Market Strategies And Barriers Perceptions By U.S. Agricultural Hvp Exporters," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 1(04).
- Calantone, Roger J. & Kim, Daekwan & Schmidt, Jeffrey B. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "The influence of internal and external firm factors on international product adaptation strategy and export performance: A three-country comparison," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 176-185, February.
- Carneiro, Jorge & da Silva, Jorge Ferreira & da Rocha, Angela, 2011. "Strategic profiles of Brazilian exporters and performance implications," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 250-257, March.
- Lu, Jiangyong & Xu, Bin & Liu, Xiaohui, 2007. "The Effects of Corporate Governance and Institutional Environments on Export Behaviour: Evidence from Chinese Listed Firms," MPRA Paper 6600, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nora Lado & Ester Martínez-Ros & Ana Valenzuela, 2001. "Explaining Export Regional Involvement Through Marketing Strategy: The Case Of Spanish Companies Exporting To Latin America," Business Economics Working Papers wb012609, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Mittelstaedt, John D. & Ward, William A., 2003. "Location, Firm Size and International Trade: Simultaneous Measurement of the Effects of Internal and External Scale Economies on Exporting," Working Papers 112951, Clemson University, Center for International Trade.
- Axinn, Catherine N. & Savitt, Ron & Sinkula, James M. & Thach, Sharon V., 1995. "Export intention, beliefs, and behaviors in smaller industrial firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 49-55, January.
- Lages, Luis Filipe & Lages, Cristiana Raquel & Lages, Carmen, 2004. "The APEV Scale: A Measure of Annual Performance of an Export Venture," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp458, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C. & Katsikeas, Constantine S. & Samiee, Saeed, 2002. "Marketing strategy determinants of export performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 51-67, January.
- María Jesús Ruiz Fuensanta, 2004. "Further insights into exporter profiles: a classificatory model," ERSA conference papers ersa04p42, European Regional Science Association.
- Gu, Weishi & Awokuse, Titus O. & Yuan, Yan, 2008. "The Contribution of Foreign Direct Investment to China's Export Performance: Evidence from Disaggregated Sectors," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6453, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Javalgi, Rajshekhar G. & White, D. Steven & Lee, Oscar, 2000. "Firm Characteristics Influencing Export Propensity: An Empirical Investigation by Industry Type," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 217-228, March.
- Nassimbeni, Guido, 2001. "Technology, innovation capacity, and the export attitude of small manufacturing firms: a logit/tobit model," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 245-262, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.