Public bank lending in times of crisis
AbstractThis paper studies the role of government-owned banks in the event of financial crises. The study takes an empirical perspective focusing on bank lending. We compare the lending responses across government-owned and private banks to financial crises using the balance sheet information of 764 major banks headquartered in 50 countries over the period of 1994–2009. Using a nested panel regression framework that allows for parameter shifts in the bank lending equation, we find robust evidence that government-owned banks increase their lending during crises relative to normal times, while private banks’ lending decreases. Government-owned banks thus counteract the lending slowdown of private banks. The findings suggest that governments can play an active counter-cyclical role in their banking systems directly through government-owned banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Stability.
Volume (Year): 9 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jfstabil
Bank lending; Government-owned banks; Financial crises;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2004.
"Bank Ownership and Lending Behavior,"
6686, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2006. "Bank Ownership and Lending Behavior," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 369, Central Bank of Chile.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2004. "Bank Ownership and Lending Behavior," Research Department Publications 4385, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo, 2006. "Bank Ownership and Lending Behavior," POLIS Working Papers 61, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Leonardo Gambacorta & David Marques-Ibanez, 2011.
"The bank lending channel: lessons from the crisis,"
BIS Working Papers
345, Bank for International Settlements.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-deSilanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000.
"Government Ownership of Banks,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1890, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001. "Government Ownership of Banks," Working Paper Series rwp01-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopezde-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," NBER Working Papers 7620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1994. "Politicians and Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 995-1025, November.
- Ivashina, Victoria & Scharfstein, David, 2010. "Bank lending during the financial crisis of 2008," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 319-338, September.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2007.
"Securitisation and the bank lending channel,"
Working Paper Series
0838, European Central Bank.
- Yener Altunbas & Leonardo Gambacorta & David MarquÃ©s, 2007. "Securitisation and the bank lending channel," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 653, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Yener Altunbas & Leonardo Gambacorta & David Marques, 2008. "Securitization and the bank lending channel," Proceedings 1101, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000.
"Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995. "Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Ehrmann & Andreas Worms, 2004. "Bank Networks and Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(6), pages 1148-1171, December.
- Anil K Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1994.
"The Impact of Monetary Policy on Bank Balance Sheets,"
NBER Working Papers
4821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kashyap, Anil K. & Stein, Jeremy C., 1995. "The impact of monetary policy on bank balance sheets," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 151-195, June.
- Rocco Huang & Lev Ratnovski, 2009.
"The dark side of bank wholesale funding,"
09-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Svetlana Andrianova & Panicos Demetriades & Anja Shortland, 2009.
"Is Government Ownership of Banks Really Harmful to Growth?,"
CEDI Discussion Paper Series
09-05, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Svetlana Andrianova & Panicos Demetriades & Anja Shortland, 2010. "Is Government Ownership of Banks Really Harmful to Growth?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 987, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Panicos Demetriades & Svetlana Andrianova & Anja Shortland, 2009. "Is Government Ownership of Banks Really Harmful to Growth?," Discussion Papers in Economics 09/11, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Dec 2009.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza & Monica Yañez, 2005.
"Bank Ownership and Performance Does Politics Matter?,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
356, Central Bank of Chile.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo & Yanez, Monica, 2007. "Bank ownership and performance. Does politics matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 219-241, January.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo & YaÃƒÂƒÃ‚Â±ez, Monica, 2006. "Bank Ownership and Performance Does Politics Matter?," POLIS Working Papers 62, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Bertay, Ata Can & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2012.
"Bank ownership and credit over the business cycle : is lending by state banks less procyclical?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6110, The World Bank.
- Bertay, Ata Can & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2012. "Bank ownership and credit over the business cycle: Is lending by state banks less procyclical?," CEPR Discussion Papers 9034, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Can Bertay, A. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Huizinga, H.P., 2012. "Bank Ownership and Credit over the Business Cycle: Is Lending by State Banks Less Procyclical?," Discussion Paper 2012-049, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1974. "The Political Economy of the Rent-Seeking Society," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 291-303, June.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2005. "Inside the bank lending channel," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1737-1759, October.
- Jason Allen & Teodora Paligorova, 2011. "Bank Loans for Private and Public Firms in a Credit Crunch," Working Papers 11-13, Bank of Canada.
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Kishan, Ruby P & Opiela, Timothy P, 2000. "Bank Size, Bank Capital, and the Bank Lending Channel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 121-41, February.
- Calem, Paul & Rob, Rafael, 1999. "The Impact of Capital-Based Regulation on Bank Risk-Taking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 317-352, October.
- Ralph De Haas & Yevgeniya Korniyenko & Elena Loukoianova & Alexander Pivovarsky, 2012.
"Foreign Banks and the Vienna Initiative: Turning Sinners into Saints?,"
Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers
62, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Ralph De Haas & Yevgeniya Korniyenko & Elena Loukoianova & Alexander Pivovarsky, 2012. "Foreign banks and the Vienna Initiative: turning sinners into saints," Working Papers 143, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Cara S. Lown, 1991. "The Credit Crunch," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 205-248.
- Salas, Vicente & Saurina, Jesus, 2003. "Deregulation, market power and risk behaviour in Spanish banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 1061-1075, December.
- Michael Brei & Blaise Gadanecz, 2012. "Public recapitalisations and bank risk: evidence from loan spreads and leverage," BIS Working Papers 383, Bank for International Settlements.
- George McCandless & Maria Florencia Gabrielli & MarÃa Josefina Rouillet, 2003. "Determining the causes of bank runs in Argentina during the crisis of 2001," Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 18(1), pages 87-102, June.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 2010.
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 306-318, September.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2012. "Too big to fail: Some empirical evidence on the causes and consequences of public banking interventions in the UK," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2038-2051.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.