Is Government Ownership of Banks Really Harmful to Growth?
AbstractWe show that previous results suggesting that government ownership of banks has a negative effect on economic growth are not robust to adding more 'fundamental' determinants of economic grwoth, such as institutions. We also present regression results from a more recent period (1995-2007) which suggest that, if anything, government ownership of banks has been associated with higher long run growth rates, even after controlling for institutions and other variables suggested by the growth literature. Drawing on the current global financial crisis, we provide a conceptual framework which explains why under certain circumstances government owned banks could have a greater effect on economic growth than privately-owned banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University in its series CEDI Discussion Paper Series with number 09-05.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CEDI, Brunel University,West London,UB8 3PH,United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0)1895 266649
Fax: +44 (0)1895 266649
Web page: http://www.cedi.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Svetlana Andrianova & Panicos Demetriades & Anja Shortland, 2010. "Is Government Ownership of Banks Really Harmful to Growth?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 987, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Panicos Demetriades & Svetlana Andrianova & Anja Shortland, 2009. "Is Government Ownership of Banks Really Harmful to Growth?," Discussion Papers in Economics 09/11, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Dec 2009.
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2009-07-03 (Banking)
- NEP-FDG-2009-07-03 (Financial Development & Growth)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Delano Villanueva & Abbas Mirakhor, 1990. "Strategies for Financial Reforms: Interest Rate Policies, Stabilization, and Bank Supervision in Developing Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 509-536, September.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Regulation vs nationalization
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2009-07-08 13:13:51
- What do nationalized banks do?
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2010-05-28 12:47:51
- Xiao, Sheng & Zhao, Shan, 2012. "Financial development, government ownership of banks and firm innovation," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 880-906.
- Gelb, Alan & Tordo, Silvana & Halland, Havard & Arfaa, Noora & Smith, Gregory, 2014. "Sovereign wealth funds and long-term development finance : risks and opportunities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6776, The World Bank.
- Jesus Gonzalez-Garcia & Francesco Grigoli, 2013. "State-Owned Banks and Fiscal Discipline," IMF Working Papers 13/206, International Monetary Fund.
- Körner, Tobias & Schnabel, Isabel, 2010.
"Public Ownership of Banks and Economic Growth - The Role of Heterogeneity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8138, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tobias Körner & Isabel Schnabel, 2010. "Public Ownership of Banks and Economic Growth – The Role of Heterogeneity," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2010_41, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Gutierrez, Eva & Rudolph, Heinz P. & Homa, Theodore & Beneit, Enrique Blanco, 2011. "Development banks : role and mechanisms to increase their efficiency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5729, The World Bank.
- Andrei Vernikov, 2011. "Government Banking in Russia: Magnitude and New Features," IWH Discussion Papers, Halle Institute for Economic Research 13, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Brei, Michael & Schclarek, Alfredo, 2013. "Public bank lending in times of crisis," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 820-830.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarmistha Pal) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Sarmistha Pal to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.