Exceeding parents’ expectations in Ear–Nose–Throat outpatient facilities: The development and analysis of a questionnaire
AbstractThe study attempts to develop an outpatient service quality scale by investigating the key dimensions which assess parental satisfaction and provides a recommendation on an improved health service delivery system. The survey was conducted in an Ear–Nose–Throat outpatient clinic of a Greek public pediatric hospital. A total of 127 parents in outpatient waiting areas were chosen; 74.8% of the sampled parents were under 40, and 78% were mothers. A factor analysis was performed; while a Fischer's exact test and multinomial logistic regression analysis was conducted. All Cronbach's α exceeded 0.70 and all factor loadings exceeded 0.50. Twenty-three items were retained through the scale development process and seven factors were formed that appear to be statistically valid and clinically meaningful: access and convenience, doctor's attention, customization, reliability, assurance, satisfaction and loyalty. Findings were discussed in relation to parents’ overall satisfaction and intention of reusing and recommending outpatient clinic. Satisfaction was found to be positively affected by access and convenience and doctors’ attention. Staff attitude and the telephone procedure of scheduling the child's examination found positively correlated to the likelihood of recommending services to friends and relatives. Time and communication in the waiting room influenced parents’ satisfaction. Overall, results reveal the measures that need to be taken in order to improve outpatient service quality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Evaluation and Program Planning.
Volume (Year): 35 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/evalprogplan
SERVPERF; Patient satisfaction; Loyalty; Attitude; Outpatient clinic; Health care;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kojo-Austin, Hellevi & Malin, Maili & Hemminki, Elina, 1993. "Women's satisfaction with maternity health care services in Finland," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 633-638, September.
- Bostan, Sedat & Acuner, Taner & Yilmaz, Gokhan, 2007. "Patient (customer) expectations in hospitals," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 62-70, June.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Choi, Kui-Son & Cho, Woo-Hyun & Lee, Sunhee & Lee, Hanjoon & Kim, Chankon, 2004. "The relationships among quality, value, satisfaction and behavioral intention in health care provider choice: A South Korean study," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(8), pages 913-921, August.
- Dufrene, Roxane L., 2000. "An evaluation of a patient satisfaction survey: validity and reliability," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 293-300, August.
- Bernhart, Michael H. & Wiadnyana, I. G. P. & Wihardjo, Haryoko & Pohan, Imbalos, 1999. "Patient satisfaction in developing countries," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 48(8), pages 989-996, April.
- Williams, Simon J. & Calnan, Michael, 1991. "Convergence and divergence: Assessing criteria of consumer satisfaction across general practice, dental and hospital care settings," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 707-716, January.
- Attkisson, C. Clifford & Zwick, Rebecca, 1982. "The client satisfaction questionnaire : Psychometric properties and correlations with service utilization and psychotherapy outcome," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 233-237, January.
- Pascoe, Gregory C., 1983. "Patient satisfaction in primary health care: A literature review and analysis," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 6(3-4), pages 185-210, January.
- Carmel, Sara, 1985. "Satisfaction with hospitalization: A comparative analysis of three types of services," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 21(11), pages 1243-1249, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.