The forecast of motor vehicle, energy demand and CO2 emission from Taiwan's road transportation sector
AbstractThe grey forecasting model, GM(1,1) was adopted in this study to capture the development trends of the number of motor vehicles, vehicular energy consumption and CO2 emissions in Taiwan during 2007-2025. In addition, the simulation of different economic development scenarios were explored by modifying the value of the development coefficient, a, in the grey forecasting model to reflect the influence of economic growth and to be a helpful reference for realizing traffic CO2 reduction potential and setting CO2 mitigation strategies for Taiwan. Results showed that the vehicle fleet, energy demand and CO2 emitted by the road transportation system continued to rise at the annual growth rates of 3.64%, 3.25% and 3.23% over the next 18 years. Besides, the simulation of different economic development scenarios revealed that the lower and upper bound values of allowable vehicles in 2025 are 30.2 and 36.3 million vehicles, respectively, with the traffic fuel consumption lies between 25.8 million kiloliters to 31.0 million kiloliters. The corresponding emission of CO2 will be between 61.1 and 73.4 million metric tons in the low- and high-scenario profiles.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Grey forecasting model CO2 emission Vehicular fuel consumption;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Gre - Financial Economics - - - - -
- for - - - - - -
- mod - - - - - -
- CO2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- emi - - - - - -
- Veh - - - - - -
- fue - - - - - -
- con - - - - - -
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhang, Qingyu & Tian, Weili & Zheng, Yingyue & Zhang, Lili, 2010. "Fuel consumption from vehicles of China until 2030 in energy scenarios," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6860-6867, November.
- Keshavarzian, Maryam & Kamali Anaraki, Sara & Zamani, Mehrzad & Erfanifard, Ali, 2012. "Projections of oil demand in road transportation sector on the basis of vehicle ownership projections, worldwide: 1972–2020," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1979-1985.
- Hanafizadeh, Payam & Navardi, Zeinab & Bamdad Soofi, Jahanyar, 2010. "An attitude study on the environmental effects of rationing petrol in Tehran," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6830-6848, November.
- Suganthi, L. & Samuel, Anand A., 2012. "Energy models for demand forecasting—A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 1223-1240.
- Limanond, Thirayoot & Jomnonkwao, Sajjakaj & Srikaew, Artit, 2011. "Projection of future transport energy demand of Thailand," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2754-2763, May.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.