How far apart are the two ACUs from each other? Asian currency unit and Asian currency union
AbstractWe argue the prospects of an Asian currency unit and an Asian currency union with a comprehensive survey of the literature, an empirical analysis and a study of the European Currency Unit's (ECU) experience. Asian countries may meet optimal currency area conditions. However, many other factors along the dimensions of history, politics and economic structure should be addressed for the realization of currency unification. The ECU experience suggests that even a successful Asian currency unit requires firm political commitment and expectations of eventual currency unification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Emerging Markets Review.
Volume (Year): 11 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620356
Asian currency unit Asian currency union Optimal currency area European currency unit;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
NBER Working Papers
5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-25, July.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huang, Ying & Guo, Feng, 2006. "Is currency union a feasible option in East Asia?: A multivariate structural VAR approach," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 77-94, March.
- Hali J. Edison, 1986. "Is the ECU an optimal currency basket?," International Finance Discussion Papers 282, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Eric Girardin, 2004.
"Regime-Dependent Synchronization of Growth Cycles between Japan and East Asia,"
Asian Economic Papers,
MIT Press, vol. 3(3), pages 147-176.
- Eric Girardin, 2004. "Regime-dependent synchronization of growth cycles between Japan and East Asia," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 66, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Reuven Glick, 2005. "Does Europe's path to monetary union provide lessons for East Asia?," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue aug12.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2010.
"Out-Of-The-Box Thoughts About The International Financial Architecture,"
Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(01), pages 1-20.
- Barry J. Eichengreen, 2009. "Out of the Box Thoughts about the International Financial Architecture," IMF Working Papers 09/116, International Monetary Fund.
- Eiji Ogawa & Junko Shimizu, 2006. "Stabilization of Effective Exchange Rates Under Common Currency Basket Systems," NBER Working Papers 12198, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clifford R Dammers & Robert N McCauley, 2006. "Basket weaving: the euromarket experience with basket currency bonds," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Eiji Ogawa & Kentaro Kawasaki, 2008.
"Adopting a Common Currency Basket Arrangement into the ASEAN Plus Three,"
in: International Financial Issues in the Pacific Rim: Global Imbalances, Financial Liberalization, and Exchange Rate Policy (NBER-EASE Volume 17), pages 219-237
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eiji Ogawa & Kentaro Kawasaki, 2006. "Adopting a common currency basket arrangement into the 'ASEAN plus three'," Discussion papers 06028, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- David Folkerts-Landau & Peter M. Garber, 1992. "The Private ECU: A Currency Floating on Gossamer Wings," NBER Working Papers 4017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert N McCauley & Yung-Chul Park, 2006. "Developing the bond market(s) of East Asia: global, regional or national?," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Asian bond markets: issues and prospects, volume 30, pages 19-39 Bank for International Settlements.
- Kwack, Sung Yeung, 2004. "An optimum currency area in East Asia: feasibility, coordination, and leadership role," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 153-169, February.
- Ogawa, Eiji & Shimizu, Junko, 2006. "Stabilization of effective exchange rates under common currency basket systems," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 590-611, December.
- By Norman Loayza & Humberto Lopez & Angel Ubide, 2001. "Comovements and Sectoral Interdependence: Evidence for Latin America, East Asia, and Europe," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(2), pages 7.
- Tenreyro, Silvana & Barro, Robert & Alesina, Alberto, 2002.
"Optimal Currency Areas,"
4553033, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Robert Barro & Silvana Tenreyro, 2002. "Optimal Currency Areas," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1958, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Alberto Alesina & Robert J. Barro & Silvana Tenreyro, 2002. "Optimal Currency Areas," NBER Working Papers 9072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kwack, Sung Y., 2005. "Exchange rate and monetary regime options for regional cooperation in East Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 57-75, February.
- Chow, Hwee Kwan & Kim, Yoonbai, 2003. "A common currency peg in East Asia? Perspectives from Western Europe," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 331-350, September.
- Michael G. Plummer & Reid W. Click, 2005. "Bond market development and integration in ASEAN," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 133-142.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance,"
497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-73, September.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1990. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Berg & Paolo Mauro & Michael Mussa & Alexander K. Swoboda & Esteban Jadresic & Paul R. Masson, 2000. "Exchange Rate Regimes in an Increasingly Integrated World Economy," IMF Occasional Papers 193, International Monetary Fund.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Yung Chul Park & Kwanho Shin, 2003. "A Currency Union in East Asia," ISER Discussion Paper 0571, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2006. "The development of Asian bond markets," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Asian bond markets: issues and prospects, volume 30, pages 1-12 Bank for International Settlements.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry & Mauro, Paolo, 2000.
"On Regional Monetary Arrangements For ASEAN,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2411, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry & Mauro, Paolo, 2000. "On Regional Monetary Arrangements for ASEAN," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 121-148, June.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Takagi, Shinji, 2000. "Proposed strategy for a regional exchange rate arrangement in post-crisis East Asia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2503, The World Bank.
- Zhaoyong Zhang & Kiyotaka Sato & Michael McAleer, 2004. "Is a monetary union feasible for East Asia?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(10), pages 1031-1043.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2006. "The Parallel-Currency Approach to Asian Monetary Integration," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 432-436, May.
- repec:imf:imfocp:48 is not listed on IDEAS
- Junichi Goto & Koichi Hamada, 1994. "Economic Preconditions for Asian Regional Integration," NBER Chapters, in: Macroeconomic Linkage: Savings, Exchange Rates, and Capital Flows, NBER-EASE Volume 3, pages 359-388 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1993. "The Unstable EMS," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(1), pages 51-144.
- Gilles de Truchis & Benjamin Keddad, 2012.
"South East Asian Monetary Integration: New Evidences from Fractional Cointegration of Real Exchange Rates,"
AMSE Working Papers
1229, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised 05 Nov 2012.
- de Truchis, Gilles & Keddad, Benjamin, 2013. "Southeast Asian monetary integration: New evidences from fractional cointegration of real exchange rates," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 394-412.
- Gilles de Truchis & Benjamin Keddad, 2012. "South East Asian Monetary Integration: New Evidences from Fractional Cointegration of Real Exchange Rates," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1039, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Gilles De Truchis & Benjamin Keddad, 2012. "South East Asian Monetary Integration: New Evidences from Fractional Cointegration of Real Exchange Rates," Working Papers halshs-00793503, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.