China's role in East-Asian monetary integration
AbstractMost proposals for East-Asian monetary cooperation assign a special role to the Japanese yen as anchor currency. We focus on the potential role of the Chinese renminbi. Since China will assume the role of the dominant economy in the region and become a more important destination for Asian products than Japan eventually, this development assigns a special role to the Chinese currency. It is rather unlikely that the renminbi will assume a dominant role immediately, but a comparison with the European monetary integration process suggests designing a system where the relative weight of the renminbi increases gradually. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Gilbert & Robert Scollay & Bijit Bora, 2011.
"Assessing Regional Trading Arrangements in the Asia-Pacific,"
200101, Utah State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- John Gilbert & Robert Scollay & Bijit Bora, 2011. "Assessing Regional Trading Arrangements in the Asia-Pacific," Working Papers 2001-20, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- John G. Fernald & Oliver D. Babson, 1999. "Why has China survived the Asian crisis so well? What risks remain?," International Finance Discussion Papers 633, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Eswar Prasad, 2004. "China's Growth and Integration into the World Economy," IMF Occasional Papers 232, International Monetary Fund.
- John Williamson, 2000.
"Exchange Rate Regimes for Emerging Markets: Reviving the Intermediate Option,"
Peterson Institute Press: All Books,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa60.
- John Williamson, 2000. "Exchange Rate Regimes for Emerging Markets: Reviving the Intermediate Option," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa60, November.
- Ogawa, Eiji & Ito, Takatoshi, 2002.
"On the Desirability of a Regional Basket Currency Arrangement,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 317-334, September.
- Eiji Ogawa & Takatoshi Ito, 2000. "On the Desirability of a Regional Basket Currency Arrangement," NBER Working Papers 8002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bayoumi, T. & Eichengreen, B., 1994. "One Money or Many? Analysing the Prospects for Monetary Unification in Various Parts of the World," Princeton Studies in International Economics 76, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Watanabe, Shingo & Ogura, Masanobu, 2010. "How far apart are the two ACUs from each other? Asian currency unit and Asian currency union," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 152-172, June.
- Chow, Hwee Kwan & Kim, Yoonbai & Sun, Wei, 2007. "Characterizing exchange rate policy in East Asia: A reconsideration," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 448-465, June.
- Volz, Ulrich, 2006. "On the feasibility of a regional exchange rate system for East Asia: Lessons of the 1992/1993 EMS crisis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 1107-1127, December.
- Gilles Dufrénot & Benjamin Keddad, 2013.
"Business Cycles Synchronization in East Asia: A Markov-Switching Approach,"
- Gilles Dufrénot & Benjamin Keddad, 2013. "Business Cycles Synchronization in East Asia: A Markov-Switching Approach," AMSE Working Papers 1344, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Sep 2013.
- Peter B. Kenen & Ellen E. Meade, 2006. "Monetary integration in East Asia," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Volz, Ulrich, 2005. "Pegs, Baskets, and the Importance of Policy Credibility: Lessons of the 1992-93 ERM Crisis," HWWA Discussion Papers 323, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Genberg, Hans & Siklos, Pierre L., 2010.
"Revisiting the shocking aspects of Asian monetary unification,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 445-455, October.
- Hans Genberg & Pierre L. Siklos, 2009. "Revisiting the Shocking Aspects of Asian Monetary Unification," Working Papers 192009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Sánchez, Marcelo, 2005. "Is time ripe for a currency union in emerging East Asia? The role of monetary stabilisation," Working Paper Series 0567, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.