A generalized multiplicative directional distance function for efficiency measurement in DEA
AbstractFor measuring technical efficiency relative to a log-linear technology, a generalized multiplicative directional distance function (GMDDF) is developed using the framework of multiplicative directional distance function (MDDF). Furthermore, a computational procedure is suggested for its estimation. The GMDDF serves as a comprehensive measure of efficiency in revealing Pareto-efficient targets as it accounts for all possible input and output slacks. This measure satisfies several desirable properties of an ideal efficiency measure such as strong monotonicity, unit invariance, translation invariance, and positive affine transformation invariance. This measure can be easily implemented in any standard DEA software and provides the decision makers with the option of specifying preferable direction vectors for incorporating their decision-making preferences. Finally, to demonstrate the ready applicability of our proposed measure, an illustrative empirical analysis is conducted based on real-life data set of 20 hardware computer companies in India.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 232 (2014)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Data envelopment analysis; Multiplicative directional distance function; Generalized multiplicative directional distance function; Log-convexity; Piece-wise log-linear technology;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2009. "An occurrence of multiple projections in DEA-based measurement of technical efficiency: Theoretical comparison among DEA models from desirable properties," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 764-794, July.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Ali Emrouznejad & Emilyn Cabanda, 2010. "An aggregate measure of financial ratios using a multiplicative DEA model," International Journal of Financial Services Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(2), pages 114-126.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi, 2003. "Scale characterizations in a DEA directional technology distance function framework," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 108-127, January.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1982. "A multiplicative model for efficiency analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 223-224.
- Sahoo, Biresh K. & Tone, Kaoru, 2009. "Radial and non-radial decompositions of profit change: With an application to Indian banking," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(3), pages 1130-1146, August.
- Sahoo, Biresh K. & Acharya, Debashis, 2010. "An alternative approach to monetary aggregation in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(3), pages 672-682, August.
- Mahlberg, Bernhard & Sahoo, Biresh K., 2011. "Radial and non-radial decompositions of Luenberger productivity indicator with an illustrative application," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 721-726, June.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Ajay Maindiratta, 1986. "Piecewise Loglinear Estimation of Efficient Production Surfaces," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(1), pages 126-135, January.
- Sahoo, Biresh K. & Luptacik, Mikulas & Mahlberg, Bernhard, 2011. "Alternative measures of environmental technology structure in DEA: An application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 215(3), pages 750-762, December.
- Tone, Kaoru, 2001. "A slacks-based measure of efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 498-509, May.
- Antonio Peyrache Tim Coelli & Tim Coelli, 2009. "A Multiplicative Directional Distance Function," CEPA Working Papers Series WP022009, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & A. P. Schinnar, 1981. "A Bi-Extremal Principle for Frontier Estimation and Efficiency Evaluations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(12), pages 1370-1382, December.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Biresh K. Sahoo & Debashis Acharya, 2012. "Constructing macroeconomic performance index of Indian states using DEA," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 39(1), pages 63-83, January.
- Cuesta, Rafael A. & Lovell, C.A. Knox & Zofío, José L., 2009.
"Environmental efficiency measurement with translog distance functions: A parametric approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2232-2242, June.
- Cuesta, Rafael A. & Knox, C.A. & Zofío, José Luis, 2007. "Environmental Efficiency Measurement with Translog Distance Functions: A Parametric Approach," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2007/02, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Cooper, William W. & Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M. & Zhu, Joe, 2004. "Returns to scale in different DEA models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 345-362, April.
- Rafael Cuesta & José Zofío, 2005. "Hyperbolic Efficiency and Parametric Distance Functions: With Application to Spanish Savings Banks," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 31-48, 09.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Ajay Maindiratta, 1986. "Erratum to: "Piecewise Loglinear Estimation of Efficient Production Surfaces"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(3), pages 385-385, March.
- Sahoo, Biresh K. & Tone, Kaoru, 2009. "Decomposing capacity utilization in data envelopment analysis: An application to banks in India," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(2), pages 575-594, June.
- Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 2013. "DEA, directional distance functions and positive, affine data transformation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 28-30.
- Sahoo, Biresh K. & Mehdiloozad, Mahmood & Tone, Kaoru, 2014. "Cost, revenue and profit efficiency measurement in DEA: A directional distance function approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 237(3), pages 921-931.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.