Testing stationarity of functional time series
AbstractEconomic and financial data often take the form of a collection of curves observed consecutively over time. Examples include, intraday price curves, yield and term structure curves, and intraday volatility curves. Such curves can be viewed as a time series of functions. A fundamental issue that must be addressed, before an attempt is made to statistically model such data, is whether these curves, perhaps suitably transformed, form a stationary functional time series. This paper formalizes the assumption of stationarity in the context of functional time series and proposes several procedures to test the null hypothesis of stationarity. The tests are nontrivial extensions of the broadly used tests in the KPSS family. The properties of the tests under several alternatives, including change-point and I(1), are studied, and new insights, present only in the functional setting are uncovered. The theory is illustrated by a small simulation study and an application to intraday price curves.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 179 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Change point; Functional data; Integrated time series; Intraday price curves; Test of stationarity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V. Kargin & Alexei Onatski, 2004.
"Curve Forecasting by Functional Autoregression,"
0405-18, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Horváth, Lajos & Husková, Marie & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2010. "Testing the stability of the functional autoregressive process," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 352-367, February.
- Anestis Antoniadis & Efstathios Paparoditis & Theofanis Sapatinas, 2006. "A functional wavelet-kernel approach for time series prediction," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(5), pages 837-857.
- István Berkes & Robertas Gabrys & Lajos Horváth & Piotr Kokoszka, 2009. "Detecting changes in the mean of functional observations," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 71(5), pages 927-946.
- Gabrys, Robertas & HorvÃ¡th, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2010. "Tests for Error Correlation in the Functional Linear Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(491), pages 1113-1125.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989.
"Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jönsson, Kristian, 2006. "Finite-Sample Stability of the KPSS Test," Working Papers 2006:23, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Yogesh Dwivedi & Suhasini Subba Rao, 2011. "A test for second‐order stationarity of a time series based on the discrete Fourier transform," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1), pages 68-91, 01.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Lee, D. & Schmidt, P., 1993.
"On the Power of the KPSS Test of Stationarity Against Fractionally-Integrated Alternatives,"
9111, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Lee, Dongin & Schmidt, Peter, 1996. "On the power of the KPSS test of stationarity against fractionally-integrated alternatives," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 285-302, July.
- GIRAITIS, Liudas & KOKOSZKA, Piotr & LEIPUS, Remigijus & TEYSSIÈRE, Gilles, .
"Rescaled variance and related tests for long memory in volatility and levels,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1594, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Giraitis, Liudas & Kokoszka, Piotr & Leipus, Remigijus & Teyssiere, Gilles, 2003. "Rescaled variance and related tests for long memory in volatility and levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 265-294, February.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Monahan, J Christopher, 1992.
"An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 953-66, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Christopher J. Monahan, 1990. "An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 942, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Pelagatti, Matteo M. & Sen, Pranab K., 2013. "Rank tests for short memory stationarity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 172(1), pages 90-105.
- Berkes, István & Horváth, Lajos & Rice, Gregory, 2013. "Weak invariance principles for sums of dependent random functions," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 385-403.
- Piotr Kokoszka & Matthew Reimherr, 2013. "Predictability of shapes of intraday price curves," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 16(3), pages 285-308, October.
- Müller, Hans-Georg & Sen, Rituparna & Stadtmüller, Ulrich, 2011. "Functional data analysis for volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 165(2), pages 233-245.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Jönsson, Kristian, 2006.
"Testing Stationarity in Small and Medium-Sized Samples when Disturbances are Serially Correlated,"
2006:20, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 09 Nov 2009.
- Kristian Jönsson, 2011. "Testing Stationarity in Small‐ and Medium‐Sized Samples when Disturbances are Serially Correlated," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(5), pages 669-690, October.
- Lajos Horváth & Piotr Kokoszka & Ron Reeder, 2013. "Estimation of the mean of functional time series and a two-sample problem," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 75(1), pages 103-122, 01.
- Antoniadis, Anestis & Sapatinas, Theofanis, 2003. "Wavelet methods for continuous-time prediction using Hilbert-valued autoregressive processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 133-158, October.
- Hörmann, Siegfried & Horváth, Lajos & Reeder, Ron, 2013. "A Functional Version Of The Arch Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 267-288, April.
- Panaretos, Victor M. & Tavakoli, Shahin, 2013. "Cramér–Karhunen–Loève representation and harmonic principal component analysis of functional time series," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 123(7), pages 2779-2807.
- Politis, Dimitris N., 2011. "Higher-Order Accurate, Positive Semidefinite Estimation Of Large-Sample Covariance And Spectral Density Matrices," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(04), pages 703-744, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.