Curve Forecasting by Functional Autoregression
AbstractData in which each observation is a curve occur in many applied problems. This paper explores prediction in time series in which the data is generated by a curve-valued autoregression process. It develops a novel technique, the predictive factor decomposition, for estimation of the autoregression operator, which is designed to be better suited for prediction purposes than the principal components method. The technique is based on finding a reduced-rank approximation to the autoregression operator that minimizes the norm of the expected prediction error. Implementing this idea, we relate the operator approximation problem to an eigenvalue problem for an operator pencil that is formed by the cross-covariance and covariance operators of the autoregressive process. We develop an estimation method based on regularization of the empirical counterpart of this eigenvalue problem, and prove that with a certain choice of parameters, the method consistently estimates the predictive factors. In addition, we show that forecasts based on the estimated predictive factors converge in probability to the optimal forecasts. The new method is illustrated by an analysis of the dynamics of the term structure of Eurodollar futures rates. We restrict the sample to the period of normal growth and find that in this subsample the predictive factor technique not only outperforms the principal components method but also performs on par with the best available prediction methods
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 with number 59.
Date of creation: 11 Nov 2005
Date of revision:
Functional data analysis; Dimension reduction; Reduced-rank regression; Principal component; Predictive factor; Generalized eigenvalue problem; Term structure; Interest rates;
Other versions of this item:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2005-11-19 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2005-11-19 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2005-11-19 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2005-11-19 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert R. Bliss, 1997. "Movements in the term structure of interest rates," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 4, pages 16-33.
- He, Guozhong & Müller, Hans-Georg & Wang, Jane-Ling, 2003. "Functional canonical analysis for square integrable stochastic processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 54-77, April.
- Devin Didericksen & Piotr Kokoszka & Xi Zhang, 2012. "Empirical properties of forecasts with the functional autoregressive model," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 285-298, June.
- Horváth, Lajos & Husková, Marie & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2010. "Testing the stability of the functional autoregressive process," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 352-367, February.
- Almeida, Caio & Vicente, José, 2008.
"The role of no-arbitrage on forecasting: Lessons from a parametric term structure model,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2695-2705, December.
- Almeida, Caio Ibsen Rodrigues de & Vicente, José Valentim M., 2007. "The Role of No-Arbitrage on Forecasting: Lessons from a Parametric Term Structure Model," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 657, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Bosq, D., 2014. "Computing the best linear predictor in a Hilbert space. Applications to general ARMAH processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 124(C), pages 436-450.
- Horváth, Lajos & Hušková, Marie & Rice, Gregory, 2013. "Test of independence for functional data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 117(C), pages 100-119.
- Goia, Aldo & May, Caterina & Fusai, Gianluca, 2010. "Functional clustering and linear regression for peak load forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 700-711, October.
- Horváth, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr & Rice, Gregory, 2014. "Testing stationarity of functional time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 179(1), pages 66-82.
- Battey, Heather & Sancetta, Alessio, 2013. "Conditional estimation for dependent functional data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 1-17.
- Rob J. Hyndman & Han Lin Shang, 2008. "Rainbow plots, Bagplots and Boxplots for Functional Data," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 9/08, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.