Testing the stability of the functional autoregressive process
AbstractThe functional autoregressive process has become a useful tool in the analysis of functional time series data. It is defined by the equation , in which the observations Xn and errors [epsilon]n are curves, and is an operator. To ensure meaningful inference and prediction based on this model, it is important to verify that the operator does not change with time. We propose a method for testing the constancy of against a change-point alternative which uses the functional principal component analysis. The test statistic is constructed to have a well-known asymptotic distribution, but the asymptotic justification of the procedure is very delicate. We develop a new truncation approach which together with Mensov's inequality can be used in other problems of functional time series analysis. The estimation of the principal components introduces asymptotically non-negligible terms, which however cancel because of the special form of our test statistic (CUSUM type). The test is implemented using the R package fda, and its finite sample performance is examined by application to credit card transaction data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 101 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W K & Monahan, J Christopher, 1992.
"An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 953-66, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Christopher J. Monahan, 1990. "An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University 942, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- HorvÃ¡th, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr & Steinebach, Josef, 1999. "Testing for Changes in Multivariate Dependent Observations with an Application to Temperature Changes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 96-119, January.
- Peter Hall & Mohammad Hosseini-Nasab, 2006. "On properties of functional principal components analysis," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(1), pages 109-126.
- Gabrys, Robertas & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2007. "Portmanteau Test of Independence for Functional Observations," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 1338-1348, December.
- Kargin, V. & Onatski, A., 2008.
"Curve forecasting by functional autoregression,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 99(10), pages 2508-2526, November.
- V. Kargin & Alexei Onatski, 2004. "Curve Forecasting by Functional Autoregression," Discussion Papers, Columbia University, Department of Economics 0405-18, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- A. Onatski & V. Karguine, 2005. "Curve Forecasting by Functional Autoregression," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005, Society for Computational Economics 59, Society for Computational Economics.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1995.
"Rethinking the Univariate Approach to Unit Root Testing: Using Covariates to Increase Power,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 1148-1171, October.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1995. "Rethinking the Univariate Approach to Unit Root Testing: Using Covariates to Increase Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics, Boston College Department of Economics 300., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- P. M. Robinson, 1998. "Inference-Without-Smoothing in the Presence of Nonparametric Autocorrelation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1163-1182, September.
- Antoniadis, Anestis & Sapatinas, Theofanis, 2003. "Wavelet methods for continuous-time prediction using Hilbert-valued autoregressive processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 133-158, October.
- Philippe C. Besse, 2000. "Autoregressive Forecasting of Some Functional Climatic Variations," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(4), pages 673-687.
- HorvÃ¡th, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr & Rice, Gregory, 2014. "Testing stationarity of functional time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 179(1), pages 66-82.
- Zhou, Jie, 2011. "Maximum likelihood ratio test for the stability of sequence of Gaussian random processes," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 2114-2127, June.
- A. Soltani & M. Hashemi, 2011. "Periodically correlated autoregressive Hilbertian processes," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 177-188, May.
- Lajos HorvÃ¡th & Gregory Rice, 2014. "Extensions of some classical methods in change point analysis," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 219-255, June.
- Devin Didericksen & Piotr Kokoszka & Xi Zhang, 2012. "Empirical properties of forecasts with the functional autoregressive model," Computational Statistics, Springer, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 285-298, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.