Identification, estimation and testing of conditionally heteroskedastic factor models
AbstractWe investigate several important inference issues for factor models with dynamic heteroskedasticity in the common factors. First, we show that such models are identified if we take into account the time-variation in the variances of the factors. Our results also apply to dynamic versions of the APT, dynamic factor models, and vector autoregressions. Secondly, we propose a consistent two-step estimation procedure which does not rely on knowledge of any factor estimates, and explain how to compute correct standard errors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 102 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Other versions of this item:
- Sentana, E. & Fiorentini, G., 1997. "Identification, Estimation and Testing of Conditionally Heteroskedastic Factor Model," Papers 9709, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana Iváñez, 1997. "Identification, estimation and testing of conditionally heteroskedastic factor models," Working Papers. Serie AD 1997-22, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert F. Engle & Victor Ng & Michael Rothschild, 1988.
"Asset Pricing with a Factor Arch Covariance Structure: Empirical Estimates for Treasury Bills,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Ng, Victor K. & Rothschild, Michael, 1990. "Asset pricing with a factor-arch covariance structure : Empirical estimates for treasury bills," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 213-237.
- King, Mervyn & Sentana, Enrique & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1994.
"Volatility and Links between National Stock Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 901-33, July.
- Mervyn King & Enrique Sentana & Sushil Wadhwani, 1990. "Volatiltiy and Links Between National Stock Markets," NBER Working Papers 3357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nijman, T. & Sentana, E., 1994.
"Marginalization and Contemporaneous Aggregation in Multivariate Garch Proceses,"
9419, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Nijman, Theo & Sentana, Enrique, 1996. "Marginalization and contemporaneous aggregation in multivariate GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 71-87.
- Nijman, T.E. & Sentana, E., 1993. "Marginalization and contemporaneous aggregation in multivariate GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1993-12, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nijman, T.E. & Sentana, E., 1996. "Marginalization and contemporaneous aggregation in multivariate GARCH processes," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-73202, Tilburg University.
- Nijman, T. & Sentana, E., 1993. "Marginalization and Contemporaneous Aggregation in Multivariate Garch Processes," Papers 9312, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Sentana, Enrique, 1992. "Unobserved component time series models with Arch disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 129-157.
- Durbin, J, 1970. "Testing for Serial Correlation in Least-Squares Regression When Some of the Regressors are Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 410-21, May.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1990.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances,"
NBER Working Papers
2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-73, September.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance," Working papers 497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Giraitis, Liudas & Kokoszka, Piotr & Leipus, Remigijus, 2000. "Stationary Arch Models: Dependence Structure And Central Limit Theorem," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 3-22, February.
- Demos, Antonis & Sentana, Enrique, 1998. "Testing for GARCH effects: a one-sided approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 97-127, June.
- Wegge, Leon L., 1996. "Local identifiability of the factor analysis and measurement error model parameter," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 351-382, February.
- Bekker, Paul A., 1989. "Identification in restricted factor models and the evaluation of rank conditions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 5-16, May.
- Robert Jennrich, 1978. "Rotational equivalence of factor loading matrices with specified values," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 421-426, September.
- James Dunn, 1973. "A note on a sufficiency condition for uniqueness of a restricted factor matrix," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 141-143, March.
- Lin, Wen-Ling, 1992. "Alternative Estimators for Factor GARCH Models--A Monte Carlo Comparison," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 259-79, July-Sept.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.