An EM Algorithm for Conditionally Heteroscedastic Factor Models
AbstractThis article discusses the application of the EM algorithm to factor models with dynamic heteroscedasticity in the common factors. It demonstrates that the EM algorithm reduces the computational burden so much that researchers can estimate such models with many series. Two empirical applications with 11 and 266 stock returns are presented, confirming that the EM algorithm yields significant speed gains and that it makes unnecessary the computation of good initial values. Near the optimum, however, it slows down significantly. Then, the best practical strategy is to switch to a first-derivative-based method.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 16 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
Other versions of this item:
- Demos, A & Sentana, E, 1996. "An EM Algorithm for Conditionally Heteroskedastic Factor Models," Papers 9615, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2002.
"Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures,"
2002-W19, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2004. "Likelihood-Based Estimation of Latent Generalized ARCH Structures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1481-1517, 09.
- Neil Shephard & Gabriele Fiorentini Enrique Sentana, 2002. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," Economics Series Working Papers 2002-W19, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Neil Shephard & Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2003. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," FMG Discussion Papers dp453, Financial Markets Group.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2003. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24852, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2003. "Likelihood-Based Estimation Of Latent Generalised Arch Structures," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2004. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," OFRC Working Papers Series 2004fe02, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Enrique Sentana & Giorgio Calzolari & Gabriele Fiorentini, 2004. "Indirect Estimation Of Conditionally Heteroskedastic Factor Models," Working Papers wp2004_0409, CEMFI.
- Mohamed Saidane & Christian Lavergne, 2009. "Optimal Prediction with Conditionally Heteroskedastic Factor Analysed Hidden Markov Models," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 34(4), pages 323-364, November.
- Dunne, Peter G., 1999. "Size and book-to-market factors in a multivariate GARCH-in-mean asset pricing application," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 35-52.
- Francis X. Diebold & Jose A. Lopez, 1995. "Measuring Volatility Dynamics," NBER Technical Working Papers 0173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jon Wongswan, 2003. "Contagion: an empirical test," International Finance Discussion Papers 775, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.