Price or quantity in tacit collusion?
AbstractWe investigate the choice of market variable, price or quantity, of an optimal implicit cartel. If the discount factor is high, the cartel can realize the monopoly profit in both cases. Otherwise, it is optimal for the cartel to rely on quantities in the collusive phase if goods are substitutes and prices if goods are complements. The reason is that this minimizes the gains from deviations from collusive play.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 78 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
- Rothschild, R., 1992. "On the sustainability of collusion in differentiated duopolies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 33-37, September.
- Deneckere, R., 1983. "Duopoly supergames with product differentiation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 37-42.
- Majerus, David W., 1988. "Price vs. quantity competition in oligopoly supergames," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 293-297.
- Friedman, James W, 1971. "A Non-cooperative Equilibrium for Supergames," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(113), pages 1-12, January.
- Albaek, Svend & Lambertini, Luca, 1998. "Collusion in differentiated duopolies revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 305-308, June.
- S. Baldelli & L. Lambertini, 2004.
"The gains from cooperative R&D with a concave technology and spillovers,"
510, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Luca Lambertini & Gianpaolo Rossini, 2009. "The Gains From Cooperative R&D With A Concave Technology And Spillovers," International Game Theory Review (IGTR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(01), pages 77-85.
- L. Lambertini & G. Rossini, 2004. "The gains from cooperative R&D with a concave technology and spillovers," Working Papers 508, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Steen, Frode & Toivanen, Otto, 2013.
"Anatomy of Cartel Contracts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9362, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldelli, Serena & Lambertini, Luca, 2006. "Price vs quantity in a duopoly supergame with Nash punishments," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 121-130, September.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luís & Wen, Yi, 2012.
"OPEC's oil exporting strategy and macroeconomic (in)stability,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 132-136.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar & Yi Wen, 2011. "OPEC´s Oil Exporting Strategy and Macroeconomic (In)Stability," NIPE Working Papers 10/2011, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2011. "OPEC’s oil exporting strategy and macroeconomic (in)stability," Working Papers 2011-013, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Alessandra Chirco & Caterina Colombo & Marcella Scrimitore, 2013. "Organizational Structure and the Choice of Price vs. Quantity in a Mixed Duopoly," Working Paper Series 27_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Scrimitore, Marcella, 2013. "Price or quantity? The strategic choice of subsidized firms in a mixed duopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 337-341.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.