Myopic and perfect foresight in the OLG model
AbstractWe compare the dynamics under myopic foresight and under perfect foresight in an overlapping generations model with capital accumulation and two-period lived individuals. When the rational dynamics are defined and the myopic dynamics are monotonic, the study of myopic foresight allows to characterize the dynamics under perfect foresight. The study of myopic dynamics also allows to obtain a condition of uniqueness of the steady state that bears only on the second order derivatives of the utility and production functions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 67 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- Michel, Philippe & de la Croix, David, 1999. "Myopic and perfect foresight in the OLG model," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1999014, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Michel P. & de la Croix, D., 1999. "Myopic and Perfect Foresight in the OLG Model," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a35, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Galor, Oded & Ryder, Harl E., 1989. "Existence, uniqueness, and stability of equilibrium in an overlapping-generations model with productive capital," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 360-375, December.
- Wolfgang Kuhle, 2012. "The Dynamics of Utility in the Neoclassical OLG Model," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2012_22, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010. "PAYG pensions and economic cycles," MPRA Paper 19984, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chen, Hung-Ju & Li, Ming-Chia, 2008. "Productive public expenditures, expectation formations and nonlinear dynamics," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 109-126, July.
- Irmen, Andreas, 2009.
"Population Aging and the Direction of Technical Change,"
0493, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Irmen, 2009. "Population Aging and the Direction of Technical Change," CESifo Working Paper Series 2888, CESifo Group Munich.
- Thibault, Emmanuel, 2004. "The power of love," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 183-189, August.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010.
"Fertility-related pensions and cyclical instability,"
20221, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2013. "Fertility-related pensions and cyclical instability," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 1209-1232, July.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2011.
"Public health spending, old-age productivity and economic growth: Chaotic cycles under perfect foresight,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 137-151.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2011. "Public health spending, old-age productivity and economic growth: Chaotic cycles under perfect foresight," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 78(1-2), pages 137-151, April.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010. "Public health spending, old-age productivity and economic growth: chaotic cycles under perfect foresight," MPRA Paper 21335, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010. "Economic growth and stability with public PAYG pensions and private intra-family old-age insurance," MPRA Paper 20727, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:8:y:2003:i:6:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2012. "Public Expenditure on Health and Private Old-Age Insurance in an OLG Growth Model with Endogenous Fertility: Chaotic Dynamics Under Perfect Foresight," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 40(4), pages 333-353, December.
- Chen, Hung-Ju & Li, Ming-Chia & Lin, Yung-Ju, 2008. "Chaotic dynamics in an overlapping generations model with myopic and adaptive expectations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 48-56, July.
- Fabien Prieur, 2007.
"The Environmental Kuznets Curve in a World of Irreversibility,"
2007.57, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Fabien Prieur, 2009. "The environmental Kuznets curve in a world of irreversibility," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 57-90, July.
- Li, Jinlu & Lin, Shuanglin, 2008. "Existence and uniqueness of steady-state equilibrium in a two-sector overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 255-275, July.
- Groezen, B.J.A.M. van & Leers, T., 2000. "The Effects of Asymmetric Demographic Shocks with Perfect Capital Mobility," Discussion Paper 2000-88, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2012.
"PAYG Pensions and Economic Cycles Exogenous versus Endogenous Fertility,"
Public Finance Review,
, vol. 40(2), pages 240-269, March.
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2008. "PAYG pensions and economic cycles: exogenous versus endogenous fertility," Discussion Papers 2008/75, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Tikoudis, Ioannis & Sundberg, Marcus & Karlström, Anders, 2012. "The effects of transport infrastructure on regional economic development: A simulated spatial overlapping generations model with heterogenous skill," The Journal of Transport and Land Use, Center for Transportation Studies, University of Minnesota, vol. 5(2), pages 77-101.
- Andreas Wagener, 2003. "Equilibrium dynamics with different types of pay-as-you-go pension schemes," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 8(6), pages 1-12.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010. "Complex equilibrium dynamics in a simple OLG model of neoclassical growth with endogenous retirement age and public pensions," MPRA Paper 23694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.