Maximum likelihood estimation for dynamic factor models with missing data
AbstractThis paper concerns estimating parameters in a high-dimensional dynamic factor model by the method of maximum likelihood. To accommodate missing data in the analysis, we propose a new model representation for the dynamic factor model. It allows the Kalman filter and related smoothing methods to evaluate the likelihood function and to produce optimal factor estimates in a computationally efficient way when missing data is present. The implementation details of our methods for signal extraction and maximum likelihood estimation are discussed. The computational gains of the new devices are presented based on simulated data sets with varying numbers of missing entries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
Volume (Year): 35 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc
High-dimensional vector series Kalman filtering and smoothing Unbalanced panels of time series;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. J. Koopman & J. Durbin, 2003. "Filtering and smoothing of state vector for diffuse state-space models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 85-98, 01.
- Ruud, Paul A., 1991.
"Extensions of estimation methods using the EM algorithm,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 305-341, September.
- Paul A. Ruud., 1988. "Extensions of Estimation Methods Using the EM Algorithm.," Economics Working Papers 8899, University of California at Berkeley.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2000.
"The Generalized Dynamic-Factor Model: Identification And Estimation,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(4), pages 540-554, November.
- Forni, Mario & Hallin, Marc & Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1999. "The Generalized Dynamic Factor Model: Identification and Estimation," CEPR Discussion Papers 2338, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Lucrezia Reichlin & Marco Lippi, 2000. "The generalised dynamic factor model: identification and estimation," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10143, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Otrok, C. & Whiteman, C.H., 1996.
"Bayesian Leading Indicators: Measuring and Predicting Economic Conditions in Iowa,"
96-14, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Otrok, Christopher & Whiteman, Charles H, 1998. "Bayesian Leading Indicators: Measuring and Predicting Economic Conditions in Iowa," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 997-1014, November.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kapetanios, George & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2006.
"A Parametric Estimation Method for Dynamic Factor Models of Large Dimensions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5620, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- George Kapetanios & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2009. "A parametric estimation method for dynamic factor models of large dimensions," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 208-238, 03.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Christopher A. Sims, 1977.
"Business cycle modeling without pretending to have too much a priori economic theory,"
55, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to estimate observable index model from Sargent-Sims(1977)," Statistical Software Components RTZ00126, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Borus Jungbacker & Siem Jan Koopman, 2008. "Likelihood-based Analysis for Dynamic Factor Models," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-007/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Christopher Otrok & Panayiotis M. Pourpourides, 2011.
"On the Cyclicality of Real Wages and Wage Differentials,"
2011-4, Central Bank of Cyprus.
- Otrok, Christopher & Pourpourides, Panayiotis M., 2008. "On The Cyclicality of Real Wages and Wage Differentials," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2008/19, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section, revised Mar 2009.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 2002. "Macroeconomic Forecasting Using Diffusion Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 147-62, April.
- Watson, Mark W. & Engle, Robert F., 1983. "Alternative algorithms for the estimation of dynamic factor, mimic and varying coefficient regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 385-400, December.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Inferential Theory for Factor Models of Large Dimensions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 135-171, January.
- Qian, Hang, 2012. "A Flexible State Space Model and its Applications," MPRA Paper 38455, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christopher Otrok & Panayiotis M. Pourpourides, 2011. "On The Cyclicality of Real Wages and Wage DiÂ¤erentials," Working Papers 1116, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Otrok, Christopher & Pourpourides, Panayiotis M., 2008.
"On The Cyclicality of Real Wages and Wage Differentials,"
Cardiff Economics Working Papers
E2008/19, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section, revised Mar 2009.
- Christopher Otrok & Panayiotis M. Pourpourides, 2011. "On the Cyclicality of Real Wages and Wage Differentials," Working Papers 2011-4, Central Bank of Cyprus.
- Liebermann, Joelle, 2012.
"Real-time forecasting in a data-rich environment,"
Research Technical Papers
07/RT/12, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Geert Mesters & Siem Jan Koopman, 2012. "Generalized Dynamic Panel Data Models with Random Effects for Cross-Section and Time," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-009/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Nikolaos Zirogiannis & Yorghos Tripodis, 2013. "A Generalized Dynamic Factor Model for Panel Data: Estimation with a Two-Cycle Conditional Expectation-Maximization Algorithm," Working Papers 2013-1, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Resource Economics.
- Ledenyov, Dimitri O. & Ledenyov, Viktor O., 2013. "On the Stratonovich – Kalman - Bucy filtering algorithm application for accurate characterization of financial time series with use of state-space model by central banks," MPRA Paper 50235, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kihwan Kim & Norman Swanson, 2013. "Diffusion Index Model Specification and Estimation Using Mixed Frequency Datasets," Departmental Working Papers 201315, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Tommaso, Proietti & Alessandra, Luati, 2012.
"Maximum likelihood estimation of time series models: the Kalman filter and beyond,"
39600, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luati, Alessandra & Proietti, Tommaso, 2012. "Maximum likelihood estimation of time series models: the Kalman filter and beyond," Working Papers 02 BAWP, University of Sydney Business School, Discipline of Business Analytics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.