Efficient Bayesian inference for stochastic time-varying copula models
AbstractThere is strong empirical evidence that dependence in multivariate financial time series varies over time. To model this effect, a time varying copula class is developed, which is called the stochastic copula autoregressive (SCAR) model. Dependence at time t is modeled by a real-valued latent variable, which corresponds to the Fisher Z transformation of Kendall’s τ for the chosen copula family. This allows for a common scale so that a general range of copula families including the Gaussian, Clayton and Gumbel copulas can be used and compared in our modeling framework. The inclusion of latent variables makes maximum likelihood estimation computationally difficult, therefore a Bayesian approach is followed. This approach allows the computation of credibility intervals in addition to point estimates. Two Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) sampling algorithms are proposed. The first one is a naïve approach using Metropolis–Hastings within Gibbs, while the second is a more efficient coarse grid sampler. The performance of these samplers are investigated in a simulation study and are applied to data involving financial stock indices. It is shown that time varying dependence is present for this data and can be quantified by estimating the underlying time varying Kendall’s τ with point-wise credible intervals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 56 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Time varying dependence; Non-Gaussian copulas; Kendall’s τ; Bayesian inference; Markov Chain Monte Carlo; Coarse grid sampler;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-33, March.
- Gneiting, Tilmann & Raftery, Adrian E., 2007. "Strictly Proper Scoring Rules, Prediction, and Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 359-378, March.
- Sébastien Laurent & Luc Bauwens & Jeroen V. K. Rombouts, 2006.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 79-109.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, . "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003. "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers 2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Geweke, John & Tanizaki, Hisashi, 2001. "Bayesian estimation of state-space models using the Metropolis-Hastings algorithm within Gibbs sampling," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 151-170, August.
- Liesenfeld, Roman & Richard, Jean-Francois, 2003. "Estimation of Dynamic Bivariate Mixture Models: Comments on Watanabe (2000)," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 570-76, October.
- Aas, Kjersti & Czado, Claudia & Frigessi, Arnoldo & Bakken, Henrik, 2009. "Pair-copula constructions of multiple dependence," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 182-198, April.
- Richard, Jean-Francois & Zhang, Wei, 2007.
"Efficient high-dimensional importance sampling,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1385-1411, December.
- Ausin, M. Concepcion & Lopes, Hedibert F., 2010. "Time-varying joint distribution through copulas," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 2383-2399, November.
- Giacomini, Enzo & HÃ¤rdle, Wolfgang & Spokoiny, Vladimir, 2009.
"Inhomogeneous Dependence Modeling with Time-Varying Copulae,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 224-234.
- Enzo Giacomini & Wolfgang Härdle & Ekaterina Ignatieva & Vladimir Spokoiny, 2006. "Inhomogeneous Dependency Modelling with Time Varying Copulae," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-075, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Manner, Hans & Candelon, Bertrand, 2007.
"Testing for Asset Market Linkages: A new Approach based on Time-Varying Copulas,"
052, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Hans Manner & Bertrand Candelon, 2010. "Testing For Asset Market Linkages: A New Approach Based On Time-Varying Copulas," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 364-384, 08.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Shephard, Neil, 1994.
"Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 247-64, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate multivariate stochastic volatility models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00093, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Joe, Harry, 2005. "Asymptotic efficiency of the two-stage estimation method for copula-based models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 401-419, June.
- Jun Yu & Renate Meyer, 2004.
"Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models: Bayesian Estimation and Model Comparison,"
23-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Jun Yu & Renate Meyer, 2006. "Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models: Bayesian Estimation and Model Comparison," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2-3), pages 361-384.
- Kim, Gunky & Silvapulle, Mervyn J. & Silvapulle, Paramsothy, 2007. "Comparison of semiparametric and parametric methods for estimating copulas," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 2836-2850, March.
- Longin, Francois & Solnik, Bruno, 1995. "Is the correlation in international equity returns constant: 1960-1990?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-26, February.
- Tse, Y K & Tsui, Albert K C, 2002. "A Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 351-62, July.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2006. "Estimation of multivariate models for time series of possibly different lengths," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 147-173.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2006. "The Copula-GARCH model of conditional dependencies: An international stock market application," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 827-853, August.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1994. "Bayes inference in regression models with ARMA (p, q) errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 183-206.
- Liu, Yan & Luger, Richard, 2009. "Efficient estimation of copula-GARCH models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2284-2297, April.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Panagiotelis, Anastasios & Smith, Michael, 2008. "Bayesian density forecasting of intraday electricity prices using multivariate skew t distributions," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 710-727.
- Stöber, Jakob & Joe, Harry & Czado, Claudia, 2013. "Simplified pair copula constructions—Limitations and extensions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 119(C), pages 101-118.
- Stöber, Jakob & Czado, Claudia, 2014. "Regime switches in the dependence structure of multidimensional financial data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 672-686.
- So, Mike K.P. & Yeung, Cherry Y.T., 2014. "Vine-copula GARCH model with dynamic conditional dependence," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 655-671.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.