Dynamic stochastic copula models: estimation, inference and applications
AbstractWe propose a new dynamic copula model where the parameter characterizing dependence follows an autoregressive process. As this model class includes the Gaussian copula with stochastic correlation process, it can be viewed as a generalization of multivariate stochastic volatility models. Despite the complexity of the model, the decoupling of marginals and dependence parameters facilitates estimation. We propose estimation in two steps, where first the parameters of the marginal distributions are estimated, and then those of the copula. Parameters of the latent processes (volatilities and dependence) are estimated using efficient importance sampling (EIS). We discuss goodness-of-fit tests and ways to forecast the dependence parameter. For two bivariate stock index series, we show that theproposed model outperforms standard competing models.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Other versions of this item:
- Hafner, Christian M. & Manner, Hans, 2008. "Dynamic stochastic copula models: Estimation, inference and applications," Research Memorandum 043, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Danielsson, Jon, 1994. "Stochastic volatility in asset prices estimation with simulated maximum likelihood," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 375-400.
- Jean-Francois Richard & Roman Liesenfeld, 2007.
"Classical and Bayesian Analysis of Univariate and Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models,"
322, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2004.
- Roman Liesenfeld & Jean-Francois Richard, 2006. "Classical and Bayesian Analysis of Univariate and Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2-3), pages 335-360.
- Liesenfeld, Roman & Richard, Jean-François, 2004. "Classical and Bayesian Analysis of Univariate and Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models," Economics Working Papers 2004,12, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Liesenfeld, Roman & Richard, Jean-Francois, 2003. "Univariate and multivariate stochastic volatility models: estimation and diagnostics," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 505-531, September.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard, 1994.
"Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models,"
3., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Kim, Sangjoon & Shephard, Neil & Chib, Siddhartha, 1998. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 361-93, July.
- Sangjoon Kim, Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, . "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers W26, revised version of W, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1996. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference And Comparison With Arch Models," Econometrics 9610002, EconWPA.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 2006. "Estimation and model selection of semiparametric copula-based multivariate dynamic models under copula misspecification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 125-154.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
NBER Working Papers
8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- W. Breymann & A. Dias & P. Embrechts, 2003. "Dependence structures for multivariate high-frequency data in finance," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 1-14.
- Jun Yu & Renate Meyer, 2004.
"Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models: Bayesian Estimation and Model Comparison,"
23-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Jun Yu & Renate Meyer, 2006. "Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models: Bayesian Estimation and Model Comparison," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2-3), pages 361-384.
- Markus Junker & Alexander Szimayer & Niklas Wagner, 2004. "Nonlinear Term Structure Dependence: Copula Functions, Empirics, and Risk Implications," Econometrics 0401007, EconWPA.
- Carmen Broto & Esther Ruiz, 2002.
"Estimation Methods For Stochastic Volatility Models: A Survey,"
Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers
ws025414, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Carmen Broto & Esther Ruiz, 2004. "Estimation methods for stochastic volatility models: a survey," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 613-649, December.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Shephard, Neil, 1994.
"Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 247-64, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate multivariate stochastic volatility models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00093, Boston College Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521496032 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dobric, Jadran & Schmid, Friedrich, 2007. "A goodness of fit test for copulas based on Rosenblatt's transformation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(9), pages 4633-4642, May.
- Richard, Jean-Francois & Zhang, Wei, 2007.
"Efficient high-dimensional importance sampling,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1385-1411, December.
- Gianni Amisano & Roberto Casarin, 2008. "Particle Filters for Markov-Switching Stochastic-Correlation Models," Working Papers 0814, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Sandmann, Gleb & Koopman, Siem Jan, 1998. "Estimation of stochastic volatility models via Monte Carlo maximum likelihood," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 271-301, September.
- Joe, Harry, 2005. "Asymptotic efficiency of the two-stage estimation method for copula-based models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 401-419, June.
- Junker, Markus & Szimayer, Alex & Wagner, Niklas, 2006. "Nonlinear term structure dependence: Copula functions, empirics, and risk implications," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1171-1199, April.
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G & Rossi, Peter E, 2002.
"Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Volatility Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 69-87, January.
- M. Angeles Carnero, 2004. "Persistence and Kurtosis in GARCH and Stochastic Volatility Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(2), pages 319-342.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2006.
"Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(2), pages 527-556, 05.
- Danielsson, Jon, 1998. "Multivariate stochastic volatility models: Estimation and a comparison with VGARCH models," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 155-173, June.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Christian Genest & Jean-François Quessy & Bruno Rémillard, 2006. "Goodness-of-fit Procedures for Copula Models Based on the Probability Integral Transformation," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(2), pages 337-366.
- Krenar AVDULAJ & Jozef BARUNIK, 2013.
"Can We Still Benefit from International Diversification? The Case of the Czech and German Stock Markets,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 63(5), pages 425-442, November.
- Krenar Avdulaj & Jozef Barunik, 2013. "Can we still benefit from international diversification? The case of the Czech and German stock markets," Papers 1308.6120, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2013.
- Shulin Zhang, & Ostap Okhrin, & Qian M. Zhou & Peter X.-K. Song, 2013. "Goodness-of-fit Test for Specification of Semiparametric Copula Dependence Models," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2013-041, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Rossi, Eduardo & Santucci de Magistris, Paolo, 2013.
"Long memory and tail dependence in trading volume and volatility,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 94-112.
- Eduardo Rossi & Paolo Santucci de Magistris, 2009. "Long Memory and Tail dependence in Trading Volume and Volatility," CREATES Research Papers 2009-30, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Krenar Avdulaj & Jozef Barunik, 2013. "Are benefits from oil - stocks diversification gone? A new evidence from a dynamic copulas and high frequency data," Papers 1307.5981, arXiv.org.
- Francesco Calvori & Drew Creal & Siem Jan Koopman & Andre Lucas, 2014. "Testing for Parameter Instability in Competing Modeling Frameworks," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 14-010/IV/71, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.