Effect of internal cost management, information systems integration, and absorptive capacity on inter-organizational cost management in supply chains
AbstractInter-organizational cost management is a strategic cost management approach to managing costs that span organizational boundaries in supply chains. Drawing on the resource-based view of the firm, we develop a model to predict which inter-related resources might enable companies to manage inter-organizational costs. We test this model using a survey of managerial accountants whose organizations are part of a supply chain. Using structural equation modeling, we conclude that the resources of internal electronic integration, external electronic integration, internal cost management, and absorptive capacity play significant direct and indirect roles in the development of an inter-organizational cost management (IOCM) resource. We find that these resources are inter-related and together are useful in enabling companies to ultimately benefit from managing inter-organizational costs. We find in particular the importance of relational resources associated with absorptive capacity in the development of an IOCM resource. Our research contributes to theory and practice by explaining how specific resources can be combined in allowing companies to better manage inter-organizational costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Accounting, Organizations and Society.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/aos
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wouters, Marc & Anderson, James C. & Wynstra, Finn, 2005. "The adoption of total cost of ownership for sourcing decisions--a structural equations analysis," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 167-191, February.
- Crespo Marquez, Adolfo & Bianchi, Carmine & Gupta, Jatinder N. D., 2004. "Operational and financial effectiveness of e-collaboration tools in supply chain integration," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 348-363, December.
- Bisbe, Josep & Batista-Foguet, Joan-Manuel & Chenhall, Robert, 2007. "Defining management accounting constructs: A methodological note on the risks of conceptual misspecification," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(7-8), pages 789-820.
- Diamantopoulos, Adamantios, 2008. "Formative indicators: Introduction to the special issue," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1201-1202, December.
- Cooper, Robin & Slagmulder, Regine, 2004. "Interorganizational cost management and relational context," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Hall, Matthew, 2008. "The effect of comprehensive performance measurement systems on role clarity, psychological empowerment and managerial performance," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 141-163.
- Tomkins, Cyril, 2001. "Interdependencies, trust and information in relationships, alliances and networks," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 161-191, March.
- Chapman, Christopher S. & Kihn, Lili-Anne, 2009. "Information system integration, enabling control and performance," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 151-169, February.
- Jarvis, Cheryl Burke & MacKenzie, Scott B & Podsakoff, Philip M, 2003. " A Critical Review of Construct Indicators and Measurement Model Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Ittner, Christopher D. & Larcker, David F. & Nagar, Venkatesh & Rajan, Madhav V., 1999. "Supplier selection, monitoring practices, and firm performance," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 253-281, September.
- Hopwood, Anthony G., 1996. "Looking across rather than up and down: On the need to explore the lateral processing of information," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 589-590, August.
- Fiala, P., 2005. "Information sharing in supply chains," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 419-423, October.
- V.G. Narayanan & Ratna G. Sarkar, 2002. "The Impact of Activity-Based Costing on Managerial Decisions at Insteel Industries-A Field Study," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 257-288, 06.
- Vosselman, Ed & Meer-Kooistra, Jeltje van der, 2009. "Accounting for control and trust building in interfirm transactional relationships," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 267-283, February.
- Susan Cohen Kulp & Hau L. Lee & Elie Ofek, 2004. "Manufacturer Benefits from Information Integration with Retail Customers," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 50(4), pages 431-444, April.
- Cooper, Robin & Yoshikawa, Takeo, 1994. "Inter-organizational cost management systems: The case of the Tokyo-Yokohama-Kamakura supplier chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 51-62, November.
- Dekker, Henri C., 2004. "Control of inter-organizational relationships: evidence on appropriation concerns and coordination requirements," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 27-49, January.
- Hakansson, Hakan & Lind, Johnny, 2004. "Accounting and network coordination," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 51-72, January.
- van der Meer-Kooistra, Jeltje & Vosselman, Ed G. J., 2000. "Management control of interfirm transactional relationships: the case of industrial renovation and maintenance," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 51-77, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.