Capital Adjustment Patterns In Swedish Manufacturing Firms: What Model Do They Suggest?
AbstractWe study the capital adjustment process in Swedish manufacturing Firms and relate the findings to standard models of capital adjustment. We have three findings. ("i") The capital accumulation process is highly volatile and non-persistent. ("ii") An "S", "s" model fits the data well in some, but not all, dimensions. Also, a model with irreversible capital goes a long way in matching the data. In fact, we argue that it is much more likely that the data reflect irreversibility than fix adjustment costs. ("iii") The estimated adjustment function implies that aggregate investment is relatively unresponsive in deep recessions as compared to normal times. Copyright 2005 Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 115 (2005)
Issue (Month): 506 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Carlsson, M. & Laseen, S., 2001. "Capital Adjustment Patterns in Swedish Manufacturing Firms: What Model do they Suggest?," Papers 2001-15, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Carlsson, Mikael & Laséen, Stefan, 2002. "Capital Adjustment Patterns in Swedish Manufacturing Firms: What Model Do They Suggest?," Working Paper Series 143, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Carlsson, Mikael & Laséen, Stefan, 2001. "Capital Adjustment Patterns in Swedish Manufacturing Firms: What Model do they Suggest?," Working Paper Series 2001:15, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Eduardo M. R. A. Engel & John C. Haltiwanger, 1995. "Plant-Level Adjustment and Aggregate Investment Dynamics," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(2), pages 1-54.
- Mark E. Doms & Timothy Dunne, 1998.
"Capital Adjustment Patterns in Manufacturing Plants,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 1(2), pages 409-429, April.
- Mark Doms & Timothy Dunne, 1994. "Capital Adjustment Patterns in Manufacturing Plants," Working Papers 94-11, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Øivind Anti Nilsen & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2003.
"Zeros and Lumps in Investment: Empirical Evidence on Irreversibilities and Nonconvexities,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1021-1037, November.
- Oivind Anti Nilsen & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1996. "Zeroes and Lumps in Investment: Empirical Evidence on Irreversibilities and Non-Convexities," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 337., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Nov 2000.
- Caballero, Ricardo J., 1999.
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 813-862
- Caballero, Ricardo J, 1994. "Small Sample Bias and Adjustment Costs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 52-58, February.
- Bertola, Guiseppe & Caballero, Ricardo J, 1994.
"Irreversibility and Aggregate Investment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 223-46, April.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Gerard A. Pfann, 1996.
"Adjustment Costs in Factor Demand,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 34(3), pages 1264-1292, September.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, June.
- Dufwenberg, Martin & Koskenkyla, Heikki & Sodersten, Jan, 1994. " Manufacturing Investment and Taxation in the Nordic Countries," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(3), pages 443-61.
- Prakash Loungani & Bharat Trehan, 1997. "Job creation and destruction," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue May 2.
- Marco Grazzi & Nadia Jacoby & Tania Treibich, 2013.
"Dynamics of Investment and Firm Performance: Comparative Evidence from Manufacturing Industries,"
GREDEG Working Papers
2013-09, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Économie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- M. Grazzi & N. Jacoby & T. Treibich, 2013. "Dynamics of Investment and Firm Performance: Comparative evidence from manufacturing industries," Working Papers wp869, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Marco Grazzi & Nadia Jacoby & Tania Treibich, 2013. "Dynamics of Investment and Firm Performance: Comparative evidence from manufacturing industries," LEM Papers Series 2013/06, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Alessandra Del Boca & Marzio Galeotti & Paola Rota, 2002.
"Non-convexities in the adjustment of different capital inputs: a firm-level investigation,"
0203, University of Bergamo, Department of Economics.
- Del Boca, Alessandra & Galeotti, Marzio & Rota, Paola, 2008. "Non-convexities in the adjustment of different capital inputs: A firm-level investigation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 315-337, February.
- Alessandra Del Boca & Marzio Galeotti & Paola Rota, 2003. "Non-convexities in the Adjustment of Different Capital Inputs: A Firm-level Investigation," Working Papers 2003.35, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Carlsson, Mikael, 2004.
"Investment and Uncertainty: A Theory-Based Empirical Approach,"
Working Paper Series
2004:17, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Mikael Carlsson, 2007. "Investment and Uncertainty: A Theory-based Empirical Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(5), pages 603-617, October.
- Øivind A. Nilsen & Arvid Raknerud & Marina Rybalka & Terje Skjerpen, 2005. "Lumpy Investments, Factor Adjustments and Productivity," Discussion Papers 441, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Tomat, Gian Maria, 2008. "Modeling the Effects of Financial Constraints on Firm's Investment," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2(9), pages 1-26.
- Øivind A. Nilsen & Arvid Raknerud & Marina Rybalka & Terje Skjerpen, 2009. "Lumpy investments, factor adjustments, and labour productivity," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(1), pages 104-127, January.
- Lundin, Magnus & Gottfries, Nils & Lindström, Tomas, 2004. "Price and Investment Dynamics: An Empirical Analysis of Plant Level Data," Working Paper Series 2004:7, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Bayer, Christian, 2008.
"On the interaction of financial frictions and fixed capital adjustment costs: Evidence from a panel of German firms,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 3538-3559, November.
- Christian Bayer, 2004. "On the Interaction of Financial Frictions and Fixed Capital Adjustment Costs: Evidence from a Panel of German Firms," Macroeconomics 0410006, EconWPA.
- Verona, Fabio, 2013. "Investment dynamics with information costs," Research Discussion Papers 18/2013, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.