A structural VARX modelling of international parities between China and Japan in the liberalization era
AbstractThis study systemically investigates the international parity conditions for China and Japan in the liberalization era (1990:Q1-2010:Q2). Advanced econometric procedures including the structural VARX and persistent profiles are utilized in the empirical analysis. The finding upholds support for both purchasing power (PPP) and uncovered interest parity (UIP) conditions, when structural breaks due to the Asian and subprime crises were taken into accounts. By comparing the persistent profiles, we find shocks to real sector are more likely to lead to the establishment of parity at faster rate than capital market. This seems to suggest sequencing problem in market integration is not an issue.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
International Parity Conditions; Market Integration; Structural VARX Modelling; Bootstrapping;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Emre Alper & Oya Pinar Ardic, 2010. "covered interest parity," The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1996.
"Cointegration and speed of convergence to equilibrium,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 117-143.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Shin, Y., 1993. "Cointegration and Speed of Convergence to Equilibrium," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9311, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Richard Pomfret, 2004.
"Sequencing Trade and Monetary Integration: Issues and Applications to Asia,"
School of Economics Working Papers
2004-14, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Pomfret, Richard, 2005. "Sequencing trade and monetary integration: issues and application to Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 105-124, February.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde, 2005. "Real Equilibrium Exchange Rate in China," Working Papers 2005-01, CEPII research center.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol & Smith, Richard J., 2000.
"Structural analysis of vector error correction models with exogenous I(1) variables,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 293-343, August.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1997. "Structural Analysis of Vector Error Correction Models with Exogenous I(1) Variables," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9706, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Raj Aggarwal & Chan Tze Haw, 2007.
"East Asian Real Exchange Rates and PPP: New Evidence from Panel-data Tests,"
Global Economic Review,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 103-119.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Aggarwal, Raj & Chan, Tze-Haw, 2005. "East Asian Real Exchange Rates and PPP: New Evidence from panel-data tests," MPRA Paper 2023, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2007.
- Juselius, Katarina, 1995. "Do purchasing power parity and uncovered interest rate parity hold in the long run? An example of likelihood inference in a multivariate time-series model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 211-240, September.
- Chan, Tze-Haw & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi, 2012. "Financial Integration between China and Asia Pacific Trading Partners: Parities Evidence from the First- and Second-generation Panel Tests," MPRA Paper 37801, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chan, Tze-Haw, 2012. "Assessing the international parity conditions and transmission mechanism for Malaysia-China," MPRA Paper 38930, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.