The determinants of foreign direct investment outflows from the European Union countries
AbstractThis paper employs a panel econometric model, and takes the horizontal and vertical FDI approach into account in the same empirical specification to scrutinize the determinants of FDI outflows from the selected EU countries at the industry level. We show that both cost related factors and potential demand are important and they mostly significantly affect FDI outflows from these selected EU countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Foreign Direct Investment; Environmental Sensitivity; European Union Countries.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
- Q5 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kimberly A. Clausing & Cosmina L. Dorobantu, 2005. "Re-entering Europe: Does European Union candidacy boost foreign direct investment?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(1), pages 77-103, 01.
- Bevan, Alan A. & Estrin, Saul, 2004. "The determinants of foreign direct investment into European transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 775-787, December.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Kolstad, Charles D. & Xing, Yuqing, 1998.
"Do Lax Environmental Regulations Attract Foreign Investment?,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt3268z4rx, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Yuquing Xing & Charles Kolstad, 2002. "Do Lax Environmental Regulations Attract Foreign Investment?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 21(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2001. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: Sensitivity Analyses of Cross-Country Regressions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-113.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2005.
"A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants,"
NBER Working Papers
11299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce Blonigen, 2005. "A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 383-403, December.
- Rugman, Alan M, 1986. "New Theories of the Multinational Enterprise: An Assessment of Internalization Theory," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 101-18, May.
- Bevan, Alan & Estrin, Saul & Meyer, Klaus, 2004. "Foreign investment location and institutional development in transition economies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 43-64, February.
- Selim Cagatay & Hakan Mihci, 2006. "Degree of environmental stringency and the impact on trade patterns," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 30-51, January.
- Catherine Y. Co & John A. List & Larry D. Qui, 2004. "Intellectual Property Rights, Environmental Regulations, and Foreign Direct Investment," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 80(2), pages 153-173.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2004. "Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Firms in the European Union," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/10192, Sciences Po.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:2003.02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Imad A Moosa & Buly A Cardak, 2003.
"The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: An Extreme Bounds Analysis,"
2003.02, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Moosa, Imad A. & Cardak, Buly A., 2006. "The determinants of foreign direct investment: An extreme bounds analysis," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 199-211, April.
- Markusen, James R., 2002.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James R. Markusen, 2004. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, June.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001.
"Economic Geography and International Inequality,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0495, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Thierry Mayer, 2006.
"Policy Coherence for Development: A Background Paper on Foreign Direct Investment,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
253, OECD Publishing.
- Thierry Mayer, 2006. "Policy Coherence for Development : A Background paper on Foreign Direct Investment," Sciences Po publications 253, Sciences Po.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004.
"Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: a dynamic panel analysis,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-22, March.
- Kai Carstensen & Farid Toubal, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries: A Dynamic Panel Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1143, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- S. Lael Brainard, 1993. "A Simple Theory of Multinational Corporations and Trade with a Trade-Off Between Proximity and Concentration," NBER Working Papers 4269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Hakan Mihci & Selim Cagatay & Onur Koska, 2005. "The Impact Of Environmental Stringency On The Foreign Direct Investments Of The Oecd Countries," Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management (JEAPM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 7(04), pages 679-704.
- Felipa de Mello-Sampayo, 2009. "Competing-destinations gravity model: an application to the geographic distribution of FDI," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 41(17), pages 2237-2253.
- Dunning, John H., 2000. "The eclectic paradigm as an envelope for economic and business theories of MNE activity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-190, April.
- Onur Koska, 2009. "Foreign Direct Investment For Sale," Working Papers 0910, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.