What causes the regional disparity of FDI in Russia? a spatial analysis
AbstractWe analyse the determinants of the regional disparity of FDI inflows to Russia. The spatial distribution of FDI is attributed to regional and/or trans-regional factors. Region specific characteristics such as wage, education level, transportation as well as gross regional product, which accounts for market size, in host and alternative regions are considered to analyze the spatial interaction between regions employing spatial econometrics. We find that shocks to FDI levels in proximate regions have no effect on FDI inflows to hosts. However, FDI in a region depends on spatial market size and endowment of natural resources in alternative host regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 39151.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
FDI; regional disparity; spatial econometrics; Russia;
Other versions of this item:
- Saime Kayam & Alexandr Yabrukov & Mehtap Hisarciklilar, 2013. "What Causes the Regional Disparity of FDI in Russia? A Spatial Analysis," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 63-78, April.
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ksenia Yudaeva & Kozlov Konstantin & Natalia Melentieva & Natalia Ponomareva, 2000. "Does Foreign Ownership Matter? Russian Experience," Working Papers w0005, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Hanson, G.H., 1999.
"`Market Potential, Increasing Returns, and Geographic Concentration,"
439, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- H. Hanson, Gordon, 2005. "Market potential, increasing returns and geographic concentration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1998. "Market Potential, Increasing Returns, and Geographic Concentration," NBER Working Papers 6429, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Brenton & Francesca Di Mauro & Matthias LÃ¼cke, 1999.
"Economic Integration and FDI: An Empirical Analysis of Foreign Investment in the EU and in Central and Eastern Europe,"
Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 95-121, June.
- Brenton, Paul & DiMauro, Francesca & Lücke, Matthias, 1998. "Economic integration and FDI: an empirical analysis of foreign investment in the EU and in Central and Eastern Europe," Kiel Working Papers 890, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2005.
"Estimating Models of Complex FDI: Are There Third-Country Effects?,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
73, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2007. "Estimating models of complex FDI: Are there third-country effects?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 260-281, September.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 2000.
"Foreign Direct Investment in China: A Spatial Econometric Study,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 1-23, 01.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 1999. "Foreign direct investment in China: a spatial econometric study," Working Papers 1999-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Davies, Ronald B. & Waddell, Glen R. & Naughton, Helen T., 2007.
"FDI in space: Spatial autoregressive relationships in foreign direct investment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1303-1325, July.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Ronald B. Davies & Glen R. Waddell & Helen T. Naughton, 2004. "FDI in Space: Spatial Autoregressive Relationships in Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 10939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cieslik, Andrzej & Ryan, Michael, 2004. "Explaining Japanese direct investment flows into an enlarged Europe: A comparison of gravity and economic potential approaches," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 12-37, March.
- Ichiro Iwasaki & Keiko Suganuma, 2005. "Regional Distribution of Foreign Direct Investment in Russia," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 153-172.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004.
"Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: a dynamic panel analysis,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-22, March.
- Kai Carstensen & Farid Toubal, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries: A Dynamic Panel Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1143, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Gregory Brock, 2005. "Regional Growth in Russia During the 1990s—What Role Did FDI Play?," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 319-329.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Tong, Hui, 2007.
"Is China's FDI coming at the expense of other countries?,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 153-172, June.
- Barry Eichengreen & Hui Tong, 2005. "Is China's FDI Coming at the Expense of Other Countries?," NBER Working Papers 11335, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Head, Charles Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2002.
"Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Investment in the European Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3455, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2004. "Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Investment in the European Union," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(4), pages 959-972, November.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Kokta, Robert M. & Piazolo, Daniel, 2003. "Foreign direct investment in Europe: Is there redirection from the South to the East?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 94-109, March.
- Bevan, Alan A. & Estrin, Saul, 2004. "The determinants of foreign direct investment into European transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 775-787, December.
- HE Canfei, 2006. "Regional Decentralisation and Location of Foreign Direct Investment in China," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 33-50.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2003. "A theory of the spatial distribution of foreign direct investment," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 149-169.
- Carlo Altomonte, 2007. "Regional Economic Integration and the Location of Multinational Firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 143(2), pages 277-305, July.
- Bayulgen Oksan, 2005. "Foreign Investment, Oil Curse, and Democratization: A Comparison of Azerbaijan and Russia," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-39, April.
- Gregory J. Brock, 1998. "Foreign direct investment in Russia's regions 1993-95. Why so little and where has it gone?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 6(2), pages 349-360, November.
- Ksenia Gonchar & Philipp Marek, 2013. "Natural-resource or market-seeking FDI in Russia? An empirical study of locational factors affecting the regional distribution of FDI entries," HSE Working papers WP BRP 26/EC/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- K. Gonchar & Philipp Marek, 2013. "Natural-resource or Market-seeking FDI in Russia? An Empirical Study of Locational Factors Affecting the Regional Distribution of FDI Entries," IWH Discussion Papers 3, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.