Regional Distribution of Foreign Direct Investment in Russia
AbstractThe objective of this article is to develop a model of the regional distribution of foreign direct investment (FDI) in Russia based on panel data for 1996-2003 taking into consideration implications shown in preceding studies on the geography of FDI in Russia. Through descriptive statistical and econometric analysis, the following conclusions were reached. First, there is a notable deviation of FDI in Russia among regions; however, a clear geographical pattern, similar to that in Central and Eastern European countries and China, can not be observed. Second, resource endowments, market factors and social development factors, to which the preceding studies attach importance as determinants for the regional selection of FDI, also proved to have high significance and explanatory power in the empirical analysis. In addition, it has been suggested that climate and favourable regionally discriminatory FDI measures are possible investment factors. Third, evidence suggesting that the Russian financial crisis in 1998 had a statistically significant influence on the decision-making process of foreign investors was not found in this analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Post-Communist Economies.
Volume (Year): 17 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anne-Celia Disdier & Thierry Mayer, 2003.
"How Different is Eastern Europe? Structure and Determinants of Location Choices by French Firms in Eastern and Western Europe,"
2003-13, CEPII research center.
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Mayer, Thierry, 2004. "How different is Eastern Europe? Structure and determinants of location choices by French firms in Eastern and Western Europe," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 280-296, June.
- Anne-CÃ©lia Disdier & Thierry Mayer, 2004. "How Different is Eastern Europe? Structure and determinants of location choices by French firms in Eastern and Western Europe," Working Papers 245489, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Pietro Garibaldi, 2002.
"What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Cheng, Leonard K. & Kwan, Yum K., 2000. "What are the determinants of the location of foreign direct investment? The Chinese experience," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 379-400, August.
- Ichiro Iwasaki, 2007. "Enterprise Reform And Corporate Governance In Russia: A Quantitative Survey," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(5), pages 849-902, December.
- K. Gonchar & Philipp Marek, 2013. "Natural-resource or Market-seeking FDI in Russia? An Empirical Study of Locational Factors Affecting the Regional Distribution of FDI Entries," IWH Discussion Papers 3, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Ledyaeva, Svetlana & Karhunen, Päivi & Kosonen, Riitta, 2013. "Birds of a feather: Evidence on commonality of corruption and democracy in the origin and location of foreign investment in Russian regions," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 1-25.
- Kayam, Saime S. & Hisarciklilar, Mehtap & Yabrukov, Alexandr, 2007.
"What causes the regional disparity of FDI in Russia? a spatial analysis,"
39151, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saime Kayam & Alexandr Yabrukov & Mehtap Hisarciklilar, 2013. "What Causes the Regional Disparity of FDI in Russia? A Spatial Analysis," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 63-78, April.
- Ksenia Gonchar & Philipp Marek, 2013. "Natural-resource or market-seeking FDI in Russia? An empirical study of locational factors affecting the regional distribution of FDI entries," HSE Working papers WP BRP 26/EC/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Alexander Plekhanov & Asel Isakova, 2011. "Region-specific constraints to doing business: evidence from Russia," Working Papers 125, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro & Suganuma, Keiko, 2014. "Foregign Direct Investment and Regional Economic Growth in Russia: An Econometric Assessment," RRC Working Paper Series 44, Russian Research Center, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Svetlana Ledyaeva & Päivi Karhunen & John Whalley, 2013. "If Foreign Investment Is not Foreign: Round-Trip Versus Genuine Foreign Investment in Russia," Working Papers 2013-05, CEPII research center.
- Svetlana Ledyaeva & Päivi Karhunen & John Whalley, 2013. "Offshore jurisdictions (including Cyprus), corruption money laundering and Russian round-trip investment," NBER Working Papers 19019, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ledyaeva, Svetlana, 2007. "Spatial econometric analysis of determinants and strategies of FDI in Russian regions in pre- and post-1998 financial crisis periods," BOFIT Discussion Papers 15/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Kayam, Saime Suna & Ecer, Sencer & Gupta, R, 2011. "Social determinants of intra-regional dispersion of FDI in India," MPRA Paper 39153, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.