Re-entering Europe: Does European Union candidacy boost foreign direct investment?
AbstractThis study examines the ability of the Central and Eastern European countries to attract foreign direct investment during the first decade of transition. After considering a model of profit maximizing firms, we undertake an empirical investigation of the factors that determine multinational firms' location decisions within Europe. We find empirical support for the traditional market size and cost factors. In addition, we examine the effect of key European Union announcements regarding the accession process. Results indicate that the announcements had statistically significant and quantitatively important effects on foreign direct investment in the Central and Eastern European candidate countries. Copyright (c) The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development in its journal The Economics of Transition.
Volume (Year): 13 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0967-0750
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simona Rasciute & Eric J. Pentecost, 2007. "The Location of Foreign Direct Investment in the Central and Eastern European Countries: A Nested Logit and Multilevel Data Approach," Discussion Paper Series 2007_29, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Dec 2007.
- Bellak, Christian & Leibrecht, Markus & Römisch, Roman, 2005. "A note on the appropriate measure of tax burden on Foreign Direct Investment to the CEECs," HWWA Discussion Papers 336, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Hakan Mıhcı & Selim Çağatay & Onur A. Koska, 2011. "The determinants of foreign direct investment outflows from the European Union countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2653-2666.
- Simona Rasciute & Eric J Pentecost, 2008. "The Latent Heterogeneity in Investment Location Choices of Multinational Enterprises," Discussion Paper Series 2008_16, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Dec 2008.
- Thierry Mayer, 2006.
"Policy Coherence for Development: A Background Paper on Foreign Direct Investment,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
253, OECD Publishing.
- Thierry Mayer, 2006. "Policy Coherence for Development : A Background paper on Foreign Direct Investment," Sciences Po publications 253, Sciences Po.
- Simona Rasciute & Eric J. Pentecost & Helena I. Marques, 2007. "An Empirical Investigation of the Determinants of the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in the Central and Eastern European Countries Using Multilevel Data," Discussion Paper Series 2007_22, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Sep 2007.
- Arratibel, Olga & Furceri, Davide & Martin, Reiner, 2008. "Real convergence in Central and Eastern European EU Member States: which role for exchange rate volatility?," Working Paper Series 0929, European Central Bank.
- Groh, Alexander Peter & Wich, Matthias, 2012. "Emerging economies' attraction of foreign direct investment," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 210-229.
- Barbara M. Roberts & Steve Thompson & Katarzyna Mikolajczyk, 2008. "Privatization, Foreign Acquisition and the Motives for FDI in Eastern Europe," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(3), pages 408-427, October.
- Esiyok, Bulent, 2011. "Determinants of foreign direct investment in Turkey: a panel study approach," MPRA Paper 36568, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Bellak & Rajneesh Narula, 2008.
"EU enlargement and consequences for FDI assisted industrial development,"
Economics & Management Discussion Papers
em-dp2008-69, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Narula, Rajneesh & Bellak, Christian, 2008. "EU enlargement and consequences for FDI assisted industrial development," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 067, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Herrmann, Roland & Möser, Anke & Weber, Sascha A., 2009. "Grocery retailing in Poland: Structural changes and foreign direct investment," Discussion Papers 40, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
- Simona Rasciute & Eric J. Pentecost, 2008. "The Location of Foreign Direct Investment in the Central and Eastern European Countries: A Mixed Logit and Multilevel Data Approach," Discussion Paper Series 2008_04, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jul 2008.
- C. Bellak & M. Leibrecht & R. Stehrer, 2010.
"The role of public policy in closing foreign direct investment gaps: an empirical analysis,"
Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 19-46, February.
- Christian Bellak & Markus Leibrecht & Robert Stehrer, 2008. "The Role of Public Policy in Closing Foreign Direct Investment Gaps: An Empirical Analysis," wiiw Working Papers 48, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- C. Bellac & M. Leibrecht & Robert Stehrer, 2008. "Policies to attract Foreign Direct Investment: An industry-level analysis," FIW Research Reports series I-019, FIW.
- Papageorgiadis, Nikolaos & Cross, Adam R. & Alexiou, Constantinos, 2013. "The impact of the institution of patent protection and enforcement on entry mode strategy: A panel data investigation of U.S. firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 278-292.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Wich, Matthias, 2009. "A composite measure to determine a host country's attractiveness for foreign direct investment," IESE Research Papers D/833, IESE Business School.
- Suma Athreye & Georgios Batsakis & Satwinder Singh, 2013. "Subsidiary Embeddedness is a Strategic Choice: Complementarity and the factors associated with different types of embeddedness," DRUID Working Papers 13-05, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Magdalena Radulescu & Elena Jianu, 2011. "FDIs in Spain after its EU Accession. Spanish Investments in Romania and How can be used Spanish Experience for Romania’s Development," Annals of the University of Petrosani, Economics, University of Petrosani, Romania, vol. 11(2), pages 233-256.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.