Degree of environmental stringency and the impact on trade patterns
AbstractPurpose – To construct an index (index of environmental sensitivity performance) to be used in a cross-country trade model in order to analyze the effect of various degrees of environmental stringency on the trade patterns, and especially on the export performance of the countries. Design/methodology/approach – The gravity model of trade is used in order to find the effects of environmental stringency on the variation in trade flows. Findings – The study shows that environmental stringency has an important impact on the export of the countries. The impact of the degree of environmental stringency on the exports is significantly negative suggesting an inverse relationship between export values and relative environmental sensitivity performance of the nations. Originality/value – This study supports the argument that the environmental stringency level differential between developing and developed nations is a crucial criteria in terms of explaining shifts in the trade patterns and international specialization of the countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 33 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- de santis, roberta, 2011.
"Impact of environmental regulations on trade in the main EU countries: conflict or synergy?,"
37756, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberta De Santis, 2012. "Impact of Environmental Regulations on Trade in the Main EU Countries: Conflict or Synergy?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(7), pages 799-815, 07.
- Kukenova, Madina & Monteiro, Jose-Antonio, 2008.
"Does Lax Environmental Regulation Attract FDI when accounting for "third-country" effects?,"
11321, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2008.
- José-Antonio Monteiro & Madina Kukenova, 2008. "Does Lax Environmental Regulation Attract FDI When Accounting For "Third-Country" Effects?," IRENE Working Papers 08-01, IRENE Institute of Economic Research.
- Jean-Marie GRETHER & Nicole A. MATHYS & Jaime de MELO, 2012.
"Unravelling the Worldwide Pollution Haven Effect,"
- Jean-Marie Grether & Nicole Andréa Mathys & Jaime de Melo, 2012. "Unravelling the worldwide pollution haven effect," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 131-162, December.
- Jean-Marie GRETHER & Nicole A. MATHYS & Jaime DE MELO, 2006. "Unraveling the World-Wide Pollution Haven Effect," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 06.04, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Jean-Marie Grether & Nicole A. Mathys & Jaime de Melo, 2011. "Unravelling the Worldwide Pollution Haven Effect," Working Papers 2011.75, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- de Melo, Jaime & Grether, Jean-Marie & Mathys, Nicole Andréa, 2006. "Unravelling the World-Wide Pollution Haven Effect," CEPR Discussion Papers 5815, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grether, Jean-Marie & Mathys, Nicole A. & de Melo, Jaime, 2006. "Unraveling the worldwide pollution haven effect," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4047, The World Bank.
- Jean-Marie Grether & Nicole A. Mathys & Jaime de Melo, 2006. "Unraveling the World-Wide Pollution Haven Effect," Working Papers 2006.122, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Jean-Marie GRETHER & Nicole A. MATHYS & Jaime de MELO, 2012. "Unravelling the Worldwide Pollution Haven Effect," Working Papers P40, FERDI.
- Valentina Iafolla & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Francesco Nicolli, 2010. "Rifiuti generati, rifiuti in discarica ed efficacia delle politiche ambientali in Europa," ECONOMICS AND POLICY OF ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 0(2), pages 103-135.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Mukhopadhyay, Ujjaini, 2013.
"Foreign direct investment, environmentally sound technology and informal sector,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 206-213.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Mukhopadhyay, Ujjaini, 2011. "Foreign direct investment, environmentally sound technology and informal sector," MPRA Paper 31447, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yang Lu, 2010. "Do environmental regulations influence the competitiveness of pollution-intensive products?," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 276-298, June.
- Valentina Iafolla & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Francesco Nicolli, 2010. "Are You SURE You Want to Waste Policy Chances? Waste Generation, Landfill Diversion and Environmental Policy Effectiveness in the EU15," Working Papers 2010.77, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Roberto Zoboli, 2009. "Municipal Waste Kuznets Curves: Evidence on Socio-Economic Drivers and Policy Effectiveness from the EU," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 44(2), pages 203-230, October.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Anna Montini & Francesco Nicolli, 2008. "Embedding Landfill Diversion in Economic, Geographical and Policy Settings Panel based evidence from Italy," Working Papers 2008.71, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Leiter, Andrea M. & Parolini, Arno & Winner, Hannes, 2010. "Environmental Regulation and Investment: Evidence from European Country-Industry Data," Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2010-1, University of Salzburg, revised 13 Jan 2010.
- Leiter, Andrea M. & Parolini, Arno & Winner, Hannes, 2011. "Environmental regulation and investment: Evidence from European industry data," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(4), pages 759-770, February.
- Hakan Mıhcı & Selim Çağatay & Onur A. Koska, 2011. "The determinants of foreign direct investment outflows from the European Union countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2653-2666.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Roberto Zoboli, 2008. "Waste Generation, Incineration and Landfill Diversion. De-coupling Trends, Socio-Economic Drivers and Policy Effectiveness in the EU," Working Papers 2008.94, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.