Multicollinearity and maximum entropy estimators
AbstractMulticollinearity hampers empirical econometrics. The remedies proposed to date suffer from pitfalls of their own. The ridge estimator is not generally accepted as a vital alternative to the ordinary least-squares (OLS) estimator because it depends upon unknown parameters. The generalized maximum entropy estimator depends upon subjective exogenous information. This paper presents a novel maximum entropy estimator that does not depend upon any additional information. Monte Carlo experiments show that it is not affected by any level of multicollinearity and dominates the OLS estimator uniformely. The same experiments provide evidence that it is asymptotically unbiased and its estimates are normally distributed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 3 (2001)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George G. & Miller, Douglas, 1996. "Maximum Entropy Econometrics," Staff General Research Papers 1488, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Akpalu, Wisdom & Hassan, Rashid M. & Ringler, Claudia, 2008. "Climate variability and maize yield in South Africa: Results from GME and MELE methods," IFPRI discussion papers 843, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mishra, SK, 2004. "Estimation under Multicollinearity: Application of Restricted Liu and Maximum Entropy Estimators to the Portland Cement Dataset," MPRA Paper 1809, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sudhanshu Mishra, 2004. "Multicollinearity and maximum entropy leuven estimator," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(25), pages 1-11.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2004:i:25:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.