Degree of Instant Competition! Estimation of Market Power in India’s Instant Coffee Market
AbstractNew competition policy seeks to promote competition and increase market efficiency. In fact, degree of price transmission between farmers and final consumers depends on degree of competition in processing sector. Moreover, trade liberalization policy is expected to influence domestic markets. Hence, it becomes imperative to know the degree of competition in various industries. India's instant coffee market is a duopoly of the firms- Nestlé and Hindustan Lever. We econometrically estimate the degree of competition in this market. Results indicate that market is not characterized by collusive behaviour. It is close to perfect competition although we cannot reject the Cournot-Nash behaviour.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its journal Indian Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 43 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Delhi, Delhi 110 007
Phone: 91-11-2766-6533/34/35, 2766-6703/04/05
Web page: http://www.ierdse.org/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L66 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Food; Beverages; Cosmetics; Tobacco
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pami Dua).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.