Market design for the provision of social insurance: the case of disability and survivors insurance in Chile
AbstractAs part of the pension reform recently approved in Chile, the government introduced a centralized auction mechanism to provide the Disability and Survivors (D&S) Insurance that covers recent contributors among the more than 8 million participants in the mandatory private pension system. This paper is intended as a case study presenting the main distortions found in the decentralized operation of the system that led to this reform and the challenges faced when designing a competitive auction mechanism to be implemented jointly by the Pension Fund Managers (AFP). When each AFP independently hired this insurance with an Insurance Company the process was not competitive, colligated companies ended up providing the service and distortions affected competition in the market through incentives to cream-skim members, efforts to block disability claims, lack of price transparency and the insurance contract acting as a barrier to entry. Cross-subsidies, inefficient risk pooling and regulatory arbitrage were also present. The Chilean experience is relevant since other privatized systems with decentralized provision of this insurance may show similar problems as they mature. A centralized auction mechanism solves these market failures, but also gives raise to new challenges, such as how to design a competitive auction that attracts participation and deters collusion. Design features that were incorporated in the regulation to tackle these issues are presented here. .
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Journal of Pension Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 9 (2010)
Issue (Month): 03 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_PEFProvider-Email:email@example.com
Other versions of this item:
- Gonzalo Reyes, 2010. "Market Design for the Provision of Social Insurance: The Case of Disability and Survivors Insurance in Chile," Working Papers 37, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Feb 2010.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Klemperer, 2002.
"What Really Matters in Auction Design,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 169-189, Winter.
- Paul Klemperer, 2000. "What Really Matters in Auction Design," Economics Series Working Papers 2000-W26, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Klemperer, Paul, 2000. "What Really Matters in Auction Design," CEPR Discussion Papers 2581, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Professor Paul Klemperer, 2000. "What Really Matters in Auction Design," Microeconomics, EconWPA 0004008, EconWPA.
- Solange Berstein JÃ¡uregui & Carolina Cabrita Felix, 2007.
"Los determinantes de la elecciÃ³n de AFP en Chile: nueva evidencia a partir de datos individuales,"
Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics,
University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 34(1 Year 20), pages 53-72, June.
- Solange Berstein & Carolina Cabrita, 2006. "Los Determinantes de la Elección de AFP en Chile: Nueva Evidencia a Partir de Datos Individuales," Working Papers 19, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Jul 2007.
- Eduardo Saavedra & Manuel Willington, 2008. "DiseÃ±o de la Subasta Optima para el Seguro de Invalidez y Sobreviviencia en Chile," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines inv209, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Gonzalo Reyes & Rubén Castro, 2008. "Medidas Pro-Competencia de la Reforma Previsional," Working Papers 29, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Dec 2008.
- MarÃa AngÃ©lica ArbelÃ¡ez & Jorge Humberto Botero & Alejandra GonzÃ¡lez & Camila Salamanca, 2011. "Sostenibilidad del seguro previsional en Colombia," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO, FEDESARROLLO 009066, FEDESARROLLO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.