The Dutch UMTS-Auction
AbstractIn this paper I review the Dutch UMTS-auction that took place in the summer of 2000 and which, in contrast to the UK and German auctions, was generally considered to be a major flop. I analyse the policy process leading to the auction as well as the bidding behaviour in the auction, and provide an evaluation of both. I demonstrate that the case contains several useful lessons for other auction design problems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 722.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Klemperer, 2000.
"What Really Matters in Auction Design,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2000-W26, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Damme, E.E.C. van, 2001. "The Dutch UMTS-auction in retrospect," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-86585, Tilburg University.
- Lukach, R. & Plasmans, J.E.J., 2002. "Measuring Knowledge Spillovers using Patent Citations: Evidence from the Belgian Firm's Data," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-92281, Tilburg University.
- Damme, E.E.C. van, 2002. "The European UMTS-auctions," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-89584, Tilburg University.
- Damme, E.E.C. van, 2002. "The European UMTS-auction," Discussion Paper 2002-100, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Marcel Canoy & S. Onderstal, 2003. "Tight oligopolies: in search of proportionate remedies," CPB Document 29, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Moldovanu, Benny & Ewerhart II, Christian, 2001.
"The German UMTS Design: Insights From Multi-Object Auction Theory,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
02-05, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Christian Ewerhart & Benny Moldovanu, 2002. "The German UMTS Design: Insights From Multi-Object Auction Theory," CESifo Working Paper Series 680, CESifo Group Munich.
- Moldovanu, Benny & Ewerhart II, Christian, 2002. "A Stylized Model of the German UMTS Auction," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 02-07, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Peter Cramton & Andrzej Skrzypacz & Robert Wilson, 2007. "Revenues in the 700 MHz Spectrum Auction," Papers of Peter Cramton 07rev700, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.