Long-Term Behavior of Yield Curves
AbstractThe flattening of yield curves at long-term maturities is proven to be approximately proportional to the reciprocal of the time to maturity under general conditions. This is a consequence of the persistence of earlier forward rates in the averaging process which produces yields from forward rates. This relationship suggests the use of a"reciprocal maturity yield curve" which significantly facilitates the interpretation of the behavior of long-term yields by linearizing them for display over a shorter interval. This is illustrated using a yield curve for U.S.Treasury bills.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis.
Volume (Year): 23 (1988)
Issue (Month): 01 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_JFQProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1981. "A Re-examination of Traditional Hypotheses about the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 769-99, September.
- Livingston, Miles B & Jain, Suresh K, 1982. " Flattening of Bond Yield Curves for Long Maturities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 157-67, March.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2003.
"Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields,"
NBER Working Papers
10048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2006. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 337-364, February.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2002. "Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Rodrigo Cabral & Richard Munclinger & Luiz Alves & Marco Rodriguez Waldo, 2011. "On Brazilâ€™s Term Structure: Stylized Facts and Analysis of Macroeconomic Interactions," IMF Working Papers 11/113, International Monetary Fund.
- Massimo Guidolin & Daniel L. Thornton, 2010. "Predictions of short-term rates and the expectations hypothesis," Working Papers 2010-013, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- repec:cfs:cfswop:wp200411 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cem Çakmakli, 2012. "Bayesian Semiparametric Dynamic Nelson-Siegel Model," Working Paper Series 59_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Sep 2012.
- C. Emre Alper & Aras Akdemir & Kazim Kazimov, 2004. "Estimating the Term Structure of Government Securities in Turkey," Working Papers 2004/03, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Faust, Jon & Rogers, John H. & Wang, Shing-Yi B. & Wright, Jonathan H., 2007.
"The high-frequency response of exchange rates and interest rates to macroeconomic announcements,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 1051-1068, May.
- Jon Faust & John H. Rogers & Shing-Yi B. Wang & Jonathan H. Wright, 2003. "The high-frequency response of exchange rates and interest rates to macroeconomic announcements," International Finance Discussion Papers 784, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Yallup, Peter J., 2012. "Models of the yield curve and the curvature of the implied forward rate function," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 121-135.
- repec:cfs:cfswop:wp200409 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert R. Bliss & Ehud I. Ronn, 1997. "Callable U.S. Treasury bonds: optimal calls, anomalies, and implied volatilities," Working Paper 97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Madura, J. & Wiley, M. K. & Zarruk, E. R., 1998. "Cointegration of term structure premiums across countries," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 393-412, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.