A Robust General Equilibrium Stochastic Volatility Model with Recursive Preference Investors
AbstractThis paper investigates the implications of model uncertainty for the equity premium in a stochastic volatility model. We consider a general equilibrium setting with one representative agent who has a stochastic differential utility. The results show that the equilibrium equity premium consists of a market risk premium, a stochastic volatility risk premium and an uncertainty aversion premium. Further, the robustness can increase the equilibrium equity premium and drive down the equilibrium risk-free rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for AEF in its journal Annals of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 12 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
General equilibrium; Robust control; Stochastic volatility model; Equity premium;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zengjing Chen & Larry Epstein, 2002.
"Ambiguity, Risk, and Asset Returns in Continuous Time,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1403-1443, July.
- Zengjing Chen & Larry G. Epstein, 2000. "Ambiguity, risk and asset returns in continuous time," RCER Working Papers 474, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- Pascal J. Maenhout, 2004. "Robust Portfolio Rules and Asset Pricing," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(4), pages 951-983.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- John Y. Campbell & George Chacko & Jorge Rodriguez & Luis M. Viciera, 2003.
"Strategic Asset Allocation in a Continuous-Time VAR Model,"
NBER Working Papers
9547, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John Y. & Chacko, George & Rodriguez, Jorge & Viceira, Luis M., 2004. "Strategic asset allocation in a continuous-time VAR model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2195-2214, October.
- Campbell, John Y & Chacko, George & Rodriguez, Jorge & Viceira, Luis M, 2003. "Strategic Asset Allocation in a Continuous Time VAR Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 4160, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viceira, Luis & Rodriguez, Jorge & Chacko, George & Campbell, John, 2004. "Strategic Asset Allocation in a Continuous-Time VAR Model," Scholarly Articles 3294738, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Hening Liu, 2010. "Robust consumption and portfolio choice for time varying investment opportunities," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 435-454, October.
- Epstein, Larry G & Wang, Tan, 1994. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing Under Knightian Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 283-322, March.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1989. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: A Theoretical Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 937-69, July.
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Xu, Weidong & Wu, Chongfeng & Li, Hongyi, 2010. "Robust general equilibrium under stochastic volatility model," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 224-231, December.
- Jianjun Miao, 2009.
"Ambiguity, Risk and Portfolio Choice under Incomplete Information,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 10(2), pages 257-279, November.
- Jianjun Miao, . "Ambiguity, Risk and Portfolio Choice under Incomplete Information," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2009-019, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jianjun Miao, 2004. "A Note on Consumption and Savings under Knightian Uncertainty," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 5(2), pages 299-311, November.
- Gonçalo Faria & João Correia-da-Silva, 2011.
"The Price of Risk and Ambiguity in an Intertemporal General Equilibrium Model of Asset Prices,"
FEP Working Papers
399, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Gonçalo Faria & João Correia-da-Silva, 2012. "The price of risk and ambiguity in an intertemporal general equilibrium model of asset prices," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 507-531, November.
- Xu, Weijun & Sun, Qi & Xiao, Weilin, 2012. "A new energy model to capture the behavior of energy price processes," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1585-1591.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.