Energy Prices and Alberta Government Revenue Volatility
AbstractAlberta government needs a revamped resource revenue stabilization fund to overcome the effects of wild swings in resource revenue and spending.Energy prices change substantially and unpredictably, causing revenue planning trouble for the Alberta government. Adjusting to these movements typically involves economic, social, and political costs that need to be factored into the government’s fiscal outlook. The best option for handling this is a resource revenue stabilization fund that collects a fixed proportion of resource revenue each year, and funds the provincial budget each year with a fixed share of the fund’s assets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by C.D. Howe Institute in its journal C.D. Howe Institute Commentary.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 313 (November)
Fiscal and Tax Competitiveness; Alberta; revenue volatility; resource revenue stabilization fund;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
- Q48 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Government Policy
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Rogoff & Yu-chin Chen, 2002.
"Commodity Currencies and Empirical Exchange Rate Puzzles,"
IMF Working Papers
02/27, International Monetary Fund.
- Y.Chen & K. Rogoff, 2003. "Commodity Currencies and Empirical Exchange Rate Puzzles," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 76, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Borensztein, Eduardo & Jeanne, Olivier & Sandri, Damiano, 2009.
"Macro-Hedging for Commodity Exporters,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7513, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Jeanne & Damiano Sandri & Eduardo Borensztein, 2010. "Macro-Hedging for Commodity Exporters," 2010 Meeting Papers 832, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Olivier Jeanne & Damiano Sandri, 2009. "Macro-Hedging for Commodity Exporters," NBER Working Papers 15452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Damiano Sandri & Olivier Jeanne, 2009. "Macro-Hedging for Commodity Exporters," IMF Working Papers 09/229, International Monetary Fund.
- R. Alison Felix, 2008. "The growth and volatility of state tax revenue sources in the Tenth District," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 63-88.
- Paul Cashin & Luis Felipe Céspedes & Ratna Sahay, 2003.
"Commodity Currencies and the Real Exchange Rate,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
236, Central Bank of Chile.
- Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Rodrigo Valdés, 2000.
"Optimal Fiscal Strategy for Oil Exporting Countries,"
Documentos de Trabajo
78, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Rodrigo O. ValdÃ©s & Eduardo Engel, 2000. "Optimal Fiscal Strategy for Oil Exporting Countries," IMF Working Papers 00/118, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Hart, 2010. "A Matter of Trust: Expanding the Preclearance of Commerce between Canada and the United States," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 309, September.
- Jan Carr, 2010. "Power Sharing: Developing Inter-Provincial Electricity Trade," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 306, July.
- Angelo Melino & Michael Parkin, 2010. "Greater Transparency Needed," e-briefs 102, C.D. Howe Institute.
- Mauricio Villafuerte & Rolando Ossowski & Theo Thomas & Paulo A. Medas, 2008. "Managing the Oil Revenue Boom," IMF Occasional Papers 260, International Monetary Fund.
- Benjamin Dachis & Robert Hebdon, 2010. "The Laws of Unintended Consequence: The Effect of Labour Legislation on Wages and Strikes," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 304, June.
- Chen, Yu-chin & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2003. "Commodity currencies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 133-160, May.
- Dietrich Domanski & Alexandra Heath, 2007. "Financial investors and commodity markets," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- James D. Hamilton, 2008.
"Understanding Crude Oil Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
14492, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A., 2005. "Peg the export price index: A proposed monetary regime for small countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 495-508, June.
- Michael Sturm & François Gurtner & Juan Gonzalez Alegre, 2009. "Fiscal policy challenges in oil-exporting countries – a review of key issues," Occasional Paper Series 104, European Central Bank.
- Pierre Siklos & Andrew Spence, 2010. "Faceoff: Should the Bank of Canada Release its Projections of the Interest Rate Path? – The Cases For and Against," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 134, October.
- Daniel Boothby & Torben Drewes, 2010. "The Payoff: Returns to University, College and Trades Education in Canada, 1980 to 2005," e-briefs 104, C.D. Howe Institute.
- Philippe Bergevin & David Laidler, 2010. "Putting Money Back into Monetary Policy: A Monetary Anchor for Price and Financial Stability," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 312, October.
- John Richards, 2010. "Reducing Lone-Parent Poverty: A Canadian Success Story," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 305, June.
- Dave Sawyer & Carolyn Fischer, 2010. "Better Together? The Implications of Linking Canada-US Greenhouse Gas Policies," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 307, August.
- Lawrence L. Herman, 2010. "Trend Spotting: NAFTA Disputes After Fifteen Years," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 133, July.
- Christopher Ragan, 2005. "The Exchange Rate and Canadian Inflation Targeting," Working Papers 05-34, Bank of Canada.
- Christopher Ragan, 2005. "The Exchange Rate and Canadian Inflation Targeting," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2005(Autumn), pages 41-50.
- Pierre Fortin, 2011. "Staying the Course: Quebec's Fiscal Balance Challenge," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 325, March.
- Colin Busby & Alex Laurin, . "The 8 Percent Solution: A Sensible Tax Compromise for Albertans," e-briefs 159, C.D. Howe Institute.
- Colin Busby & William Robson, 2013. "Canada's 2012 Fiscal Accountability Rankings," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 373, February.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance, 2014. "Rule-Based Resource Revenue Stabilization Funds: A Welfare Comparison," Working Papers 2014-1, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristine Gray).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.