Quantitative Analysis of Business Success Indicators in the Banking Sector of the Republic of Serbia
AbstractIdentification of an appropriate set of indicators of the banking sector to be analyzed has to be observed in terms of the needs of different users. For the purpose of managing financial systems, methods for early detection of problems in banks are essential in order to protect the interests of citizens and the entire system. From the standpoint of the interests of shareholders, it is necessary to apply the method of performance comparison with competing banks in order to identify the causes of inefficiency in operations and causes of action to improve efficiency. Finally, in terms of individual users of banking services, quality of a bank shall assess the level of risk in the business, as well as the assessment of a specific risk. Some aspects of bank performance, such as liquidity and capital adequacy, are of great importance for the stability of the entire sector and their minimum values are prescribed by the National Bank of Serbia. On the other hand, financial performance and profitability indicators are essential for long-term and successful pursuit of banking business. In this paper, we use regression analysis to evaluate the influence of some of these indicators on the financial result of the banking sector in Serbia. The period that is analyzed is post 2000, immediately after the reform of the banking sector. For the purpose of analysis, the entire period is divided in two sub-periods: (1) the period from 2000 to 2008, and (2) the period after 2008, which was characterized by a negative impact of the global economic crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Central bank of Montenegro in its journal Journal of Central banking Theory and Practice.
Volume (Year): 2 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bulevar Svetog Petra Cetinjskog br. 6, 81000 Podgorica
Phone: +382 20 403 136
Fax: +382 20 664 029
Web page: http://www.cbcg.me/eng/index.php?bl=journal
More information through EDIRC
Financial Result; ROE; ROA; Liquidity; Capital Adequacy; Banking Sector of the Republic of Serbia; Statistical Analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bryant, John, 1980. "A model of reserves, bank runs, and deposit insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 335-344, December.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1994.
"Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector,"
95-1, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1997. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds, and the Real Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 663-91, August.
- Holmström, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1994. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector," IDEI Working Papers 40, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto & Fulghieri, Paolo, 1994. "Uncertain liquidity and interbank contracting," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 287-294.
- Gennotte, Gerard & Pyle, David, 1991. "Capital controls and bank risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 805-824, September.
- Koehn, Michael & Santomero, Anthony M, 1980. " Regulation of Bank Capital and Portfolio Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1235-44, December.
- Luigi Zingales, 2011.
"A New Capital Regulation for Large Financial Institutions,"
American Law and Economics Review,
Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 453-490.
- Hart, Oliver & Zingales, Luigi, 2009. "A New Capital Regulation For Large Financial Institutions," CEPR Discussion Papers 7298, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Zingales & Oliver Hart, 2009. "A New Capital Regulation For Large Financial Institutions," Working Papers 2009.124, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Besanko, David & Kanatas, George, 1996. "The Regulation of Bank Capital: Do Capital Standards Promote Bank Safety?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 160-183, April.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2008. "Microeconomics of Banking, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062704.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Berry Wilson, 2004. "Bank Capital and Portfolio Management: The 1930s "Capital Crunch" and the Scramble to Shed Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(3), pages 421-456, July.
- Frederick T. Furlong, 1992. "Capital regulation and bank lending," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 23-33.
- Donaldson, R. Glen, 1992. "Costly liquidation, interbank trade, bank runs and panics," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 59-82, March.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Joseph R. Mason, 2003. "Consequences of Bank Distress During the Great Depression," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 937-947, June.
- Furlong, Frederick T. & Keeley, Michael C., 1989. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 883-891, December.
- Thakor, Anjan V., 2012. "Incentives to innovate and financial crises," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 130-148.
- Frederick T. Furlong & Michael C. Keeley, 1987. "Bank capital regulation and asset risk," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Spr, pages 20-40.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.