Foreign Direct Investment and European Integration in the 1990s
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of EU integration in the 1990s on the FDI relations in Europe. We find that the completion of the Single Market, the 1995 enlargement and the so-called Eastern enlargement are characterised by a substantial, positive anticipation effect in the period between the announcement and the formal establishment of each integration step. Neither the Single Market Programme nor the previous enlargement exhibited any further positive effects on intra-EU FDI volumes after their establishment. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal The World Economy.
Volume (Year): 27 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0378-5920
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- C. Bellak & M. Leibrecht & R. Stehrer, 2010.
"The role of public policy in closing foreign direct investment gaps: an empirical analysis,"
Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 19-46, February.
- Christian Bellak & Markus Leibrecht & Robert Stehrer, 2008. "The Role of Public Policy in Closing Foreign Direct Investment Gaps: An Empirical Analysis," wiiw Working Papers 48, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Bas Straathof & Gert Jan Linders & Arjan Lejour & Jan MÃ¶hlmann, 2008. "The internal market and the Dutch economy: implications for trade and economic growth," CPB Document 168, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Resmini, Laura & Siedschlag, Iulia, 2013. "Is foreign direct investment to China crowding out the foreign direct investment to other countries?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 1-16.
- Warin, Thierry & Wunnava, Phanindra V. & Janicki, Hubert, 2008.
"Testing Mundell's Intuition of Endogenous OCA Theory,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3739, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thierry Warin & Phanindra V. Wunnava & Hubert P. Janicki, 2009. "Testing Mundell's Intuition of Endogenous OCA Theory," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 74-86, 02.
- Ana Paula Africano & Manuela Magalhaes, 2005. "FDI and Trade in Portugal: a gravity analysis," FEP Working Papers 174, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Michael Knogler & Volkhart Vincentz, 2005. "Auswirkungen der EU-Osterweiterung auf die Arbeitsmärkte der neuen Mitgliedstaaten und der EU-15, insbesondere Deutschland," Working Papers 257, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Theo S Eicher & Lindy Helfman & Alex Lenkoski, 2011.
"Robust FDI Determinants: Bayesian Model Averaging In The Presence Of Selection Bias,"
UWEC-2011-07-FC, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Eicher, Theo S. & Helfman, Lindy & Lenkoski, Alex, 2012. "Robust FDI determinants: Bayesian Model Averaging in the presence of selection bias," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 637-651.
- Manuela Magalhães & Ana Paula Africano, 2007.
"A Panel Analysis of the FDI Impact on International Trade,"
NIPE Working Papers
6/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Manuela Magalhães & Ana Paula Africano, 2007. "A Panel Analysis of the FDI Impact on International Trade," FEP Working Papers 235, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Kenneth S. Donahue & Thierry Warin, 2009. "Multilateralism cursed by bilateralism: Japan’s Role at the International Whaling Commission," Middlebury College Working Paper Series 0904, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- C. Bellac & M. Leibrecht & Robert Stehrer, 2008. "Policies to attract Foreign Direct Investment: An industry-level analysis," FIW Research Reports series I-019, FIW.
- Markus Leibrecht & Aleksandra Riedl, 2012. "Modelling FDI based on a spatially augmented gravity model: Evidence for Central and Eastern European Countries," Working Paper Series in Economics 239, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Lilia Maliar & Kateryna Garmel & Serguei Maliar, 2005. "The Eu Eastern Enlargement And Fdi: The Implications From A Neoclassical Growth Model," Working Papers. Serie AD 2005-29, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Maureen Lankhuizen & Henri L.F. de Groot & Gert-Jan M. Linders, 2009.
"The Trade-Off between Foreign Direct Investments and Exports: The Role of Multiple Dimensions of Distance,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
09-050/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Maureen Lankhuizen & Henri L. F. de Groot & Gert‐Jan M. Linders, 2011. "The Trade‐Off between Foreign Direct Investments and Exports: The Role of Multiple Dimensions of Distance," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(8), pages 1395-1416, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.