Continental Drift: European Integration and the Location of U.K. Foreign Direct Investment
AbstractThis paper seeks to quantify the impact of the European internal market programme on the sectoral and geographical pattern of foreign direct investment by U.K. corporations. The author uses an annual panel data set covering investment within seven sectors in the European Union and the United States, and controls for market size, relative costs, innovation, corporate financial constraints, and sector-specific fixed effects. His results indicate that the programme has had a significant positive effect on the level of investment, both in industrial and service sectors. There is also some evidence of investment diversion from the United States into the European Union since 1990. Copyright 1997 by Blackwell Publishers Ltd and The Victoria University of Manchester
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Manchester in its journal The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies.
Volume (Year): 65 (1997)
Issue (Month): 0 (Supplement)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manchester M13 9PL
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/disciplines/economics/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Medvedev, Denis, 2006. "Beyond trade : the impact of preferential trade agreements on foreign direct investment inflows," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4065, The World Bank.
- Shatz, Howard J. & Venables, Anthony J., 2000. "The geography of international investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2338, The World Bank.
- Neary, J Peter, 2002.
"Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market,"
University of Manchester, vol. 70(3), pages 291-314, June.
- J Peter Neary, 2001. "Foreign Direct Iinvestment and the Single Market," Working Papers 200124, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J. Peter Neary, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market," Development Working Papers 160, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Neary, J Peter, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 3419, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pain, Nigel & Young, Garry, 2004. "The macroeconomic impact of UK withdrawal from the EU," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 387-408, May.
- Nigel Pain & Florence Hubert, 2002. "Aides à l’investissement, intégration européenne et localisation de l’investissement direct allemand," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 152(1), pages 151-170.
- Medvedev, Denis, 2012. "Beyond Trade: The Impact of Preferential Trade Agreements on FDI Inflows," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 49-61.
- Ewe-Ghee Lim, 2001. "Determinants of, and the Relation Between, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Oliver Morrissey, . "Investment Provisions in Regional Integration Agreements for Developing Countries," Discussion Papers 08/06, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Raff, Horst, 2004.
"Preferential trade agreements and tax competition for foreign direct investment,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 2745-2763, December.
- Horst Raff, 2002. "Preferential Trade Agreements and Tax Competition for Foreign Direct Investment," CESifo Working Paper Series 763, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ray Barrell & Dirk Willem te Velde, 2002. "European Integration and Manufactures Import Demand: An Empirical Investigation of Ten European Countries," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 3(3), pages 263-293, 08.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari & Globerman, Steven, 1998. "Regional Economic Integration and Foreign Direct Investment: The North American Experience," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 269, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Marian Beise & Heike Belitz, 1998.
"Trends in the Internationalisation of R&D: The German Perspective,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
167, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Marian Beise & Heike Belitz, 1998. "Trends in the Internationalisation of R&D - the German Perspective," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 67(2), pages 67-85.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.