The Liquidity of Property Shares: An International Comparison
AbstractThis article investigates the magnitude and determinates of share liquidity over the 1990-2007 period in the world's four largest securitized real estate markets: the United States, the United Kingdom, Continental Europe and Australia. We document a significant and consistent role for market capitalization, nonretail share ownership and dividend yield as drivers of liquidity across markets. We also document significant differences in liquidity across countries and between property and nonproperty companies. Also striking is the lack of correlation among our three measures of liquidity across property firms and time. This supports the notion that share price liquidity is multifaceted and therefore reliance on any one measure of liquidity in empirical work may produce misleading conclusions. Although we find some evidence of a connection between liquidity and firm value, it is less conclusive than prior studies. Copyright (c) 2009 American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association in its journal Real Estate Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 1309 East Tenth Street, Suite 738, Bloomington, Indiana 47405
Phone: (812) 855-7794
Fax: (812) 855-8679
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1080-8620
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott D. Below & Joseph K. Kiely & Willard McIntosh, 1996. "REIT Pricing Efficiency; Should Investors Still Be Concerned?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(3), pages 397-412.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 2004. "Liquidity in the Futures Pits: Inferring Market Dynamics from Incomplete Data," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(02), pages 305-326, June.
- Tarun Chordia, 2001. "Market Liquidity and Trading Activity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 501-530, 04.
- Heflin, Frank & Shaw, Kenneth W., 2000. "Blockholder Ownership and Market Liquidity," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(04), pages 621-633, December.
- Amihud, Yakov, 2002. "Illiquidity and stock returns: cross-section and time-series effects," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 31-56, January.
- Ling, David C & Naranjo, Andy, 2002. "Commercial Real Estate Return Performance: A Cross-Country Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1-2), pages 119-42, Jan.-Marc.
- Ko Wang & John Erickson & Su Han Chan, 1995. "Does the REIT Stock Market Resemble the General Stock Market?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(4), pages 445-460.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Vijay Bhasin & Rebel A. Cole & Joseph K. Kiely, 1997. "Changes in REIT Liquidity 1990-1994: Evidence from Intra-day Transactions," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 25(4), pages 615-630.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Paul R. Milgrom, 1983.
"Bid, Ask and Transaction Prices in a Specialist Market with Heterogeneously Informed Traders,"
570, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Milgrom, Paul R., 1985. "Bid, ask and transaction prices in a specialist market with heterogeneously informed traders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 71-100, March.
- William J. Breen & Laurie Simon Hodrick & Robert A. Korajczyk, 2002. "Predicting Equity Liquidity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(4), pages 470-483, April.
- Lesmond, David A., 2005. "Liquidity of emerging markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 411-452, August.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 1996. "Market microstructure and asset pricing: On the compensation for illiquidity in stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 441-464, July.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1993. "Market Liquidity and Performance Monitoring," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 678-709, August.
- Jim Clayton & Greg MacKinnon, 2000. "Measuring and Explaining Changes in REIT Liquidity: Moving Beyond the Bid-Ask Spread," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 28(1), pages 89-115.
- Gianluca Marcato & Charles Ward, 2007.
"Back from Beyond the Bid-Ask Spread: Estimating Liquidity in International Markets,"
Real Estate & Planning Working Papers
rep-wp2007-07, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Gianluca Marcato & Charles Ward, 2007. "Back from Beyond the Bid-Ask Spread: Estimating Liquidity in International Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 35(4), pages 599-622, December.
- Datar, Vinay T. & Y. Naik, Narayan & Radcliffe, Robert, 1998. "Liquidity and stock returns: An alternative test," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 203-219, August.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Chiang, Raymond & Venkatesh, P C, 1988. " Insider Holdings and Perceptions of Information Asymmetry: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1041-48, September.
- Benston, George J. & Hagerman, Robert L., 1974. "Determinants of bid-asked spreads in the over-the-counter market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 353-364, December.
- John L. Glascock & David Michayluk & Karyn Neuhauser, 2004. "The Riskiness of REITs Surrounding the October 1997 Stock Market Decline," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 339-354, 05.
- Yakov Amihud & Haim Mendelson & Jun Uno, 1999. "Number of Shareholders and Stock Prices: Evidence from Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 1169-1184, 06.
- Lawrence Benveniste & Dennis R. Capozza & Paul J. Seguin, 2001. "The Value of Liquidity," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 29(4), pages 633-660.
- Edward F. Nelling & James M. Mahoney & Terry L. Hildebrand & Michael A. Goldstein, 1995. "Real Estate Investment Trusts, Small Stocks and Bid-ask Spreads," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 23(1), pages 45-63.
- Scott D. Below & Joseph K. Kiely & Willard McIntosh, 1995. "An Examination of Informed Traders and the Market Microstructure of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(3), pages 335-361.
- Susanne Cannon & Rebel Cole, 2011.
"Changes in REIT Liquidity 1988–2007: Evidence from Daily Data,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 258-280, July.
- Cannon, Susanne E. & Cole, Rebel A., 2008. "Changes in REIT liquidity 1988 - 2007: Evidence from daily data," MPRA Paper 24694, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Aug 2010.
- Bond, Shaun A. & Chang, Qingqing, 2012. "Liquidity dynamics across public and private markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1890-1910.
- Denis Schweizer & Lars Haß & Lutz Johanning & Bernd Rudolph, 2013. "Do Alternative Real Estate Investment Vehicles Add Value to REITs? Evidence from German Open-ended Property Funds," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 65-82, July.
- Jaakko Niskanen & Heidi Falkenbach, 2011. "Liquidity of European real estate equities: REITs and REOCs," International Journal of Strategic Property Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 173-187, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.