The Effect of Lock-Ups on the Suggested Real Estate Portfolio Weight
AbstractWe test relative illiquidity, exemplified through a temporary lock-up, as a partial explanation for the gap between theoretical and empirical weights for real estate in a multi-asset portfolio. Since asset correlations are known to increase in bear markets, which reduce their diversification benefits, the ex-ante knowledge of a lock-up in an asset class that offers diversification benefits in bull markets (Hung et al., 2008) may reduce the optimal weight that an investor wishes to put in it ex-ante. By using dynamic multiperiod portfolio policies by Brandt and Santa-Clara (2006), and introducing a lock-up in line as per de Roon et al. (2009), we study the effects of a partial lock-up on the weight for REITs in a U.S. stock and bond portfolio. We find support for our prediction, in the form of lower weights for the illiquid asset once a lock-up is introduced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Asian Real Estate Society in its journal International Real Estate Review.
Volume (Year): 17 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elias Oikarinen & Martin Hoesli & Camilo Serrano, 2011. "The Long-Run Dynamics between Direct and Securitized Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 33(1), pages 73-104.
- Eduardo S. Schwartz & Claudio Tebaldi, 2006. "Illiquid Assets and Optimal Portfolio Choice," NBER Working Papers 12633, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Hoesli & Jon Lekander & Witold Witkiewicz, 2004. "New International Evidence on Real Estate as a Portfolio Diversifier," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 26(2), pages 161-206.
- Ledoit, Oliver & Wolf, Michael, 2008.
"Robust performance hypothesis testing with the Sharpe ratio,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 850-859, December.
- Oliver Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2008. "Robust Performance Hypothesis Testing with the Sharpe Ratio," IEW - Working Papers 320, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Jarl G. Kallberg & Crocker H. Liu & D. Wylie Greig, 1996. "The Role of Real Estate in the Portfolio Allocation Process," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(3), pages 359-377.
- Michael W. Brandt & Pedro Santa-Clara, 2006. "Dynamic Portfolio Selection by Augmentingthe Asset Space," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(5), pages 2187-2217, October.
- Teiletche, Jérôme & Cao, Dan, 2007. "Reconsidering asset allocation involving illiquid assets," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1222, Paris Dauphine University.
- Ghysels, Eric & Pereira, João Pedro, 2008. "Liquidity and conditional portfolio choice: A nonparametric investigation," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 679-699, September.
- Dirk Brounen & Melissa Porras Prado & Marno Verbeek, 2010. "Real Estate in an ALM Framework: The Case of Fair Value Accounting," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 775-804, Winter.
- Gregory H. Chun & Brian A. Ciochetti & James D. Shilling, 2000. "Pension-Plan Real Estate Investment in an Asset-Liability Framework," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 28(3), pages 467-491.
- Joseph L. Pagliari & Kevin A. Scherer & Richard T. Monopoli, 2005. "Public Versus Private Real Estate Equities: A More Refined, Long-Term Comparison," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(1), pages 147-187, 03.
- Amihud, Yakov, 2002. "Illiquidity and stock returns: cross-section and time-series effects," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 31-56, January.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Wayne E. Ferson, 2001. "The Efficient Use of Conditioning Information in Portfolios," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(3), pages 967-982, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.