Robust performance hypothesis testing with the Sharpe ratio
AbstractApplied researchers often test for the difference of the Sharpe ratios of two investment strategies. A very popular tool to this end is the test of Jobson and Korkie [Jobson, J.D. and Korkie, B.M. (1981). Performance hypothesis testing with the Sharpe and Treynor measures. Journal of Finance, 36:889-908], which has been corrected by Memmel [Memmel, C. (2003). Performance hypothesis testing with the Sharpe ratio. Finance Letters, 1:21-23]. Unfortunately, this test is not valid when returns have tails heavier than the normal distribution or are of time series nature. Instead, we propose the use of robust inference methods. In particular, we suggest to construct a studentized time series bootstrap confidence interval for the difference of the Sharpe ratios and to declare the two ratios different if zero is not contained in the obtained interval. This approach has the advantage that one can simply resample from the observed data as opposed to some null-restricted data. A simulation study demonstrates the improved finite sample performance compared to existing methods. In addition, two applications to real data are provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Empirical Finance.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jempfin
Bootstrap HAC inference Sharpe ratio;
Other versions of this item:
- Oliver Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2008. "Robust Performance Hypothesis Testing with the Sharpe Ratio," IEW - Working Papers 320, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dominic Gasbarro & Wing-Keung Wong & J. Kenton Zumwalt, 2007.
"Stochastic Dominance Analysis of iShares,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0706, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Christopher J. Monahan, 1990.
"An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
942, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Monahan, J Christopher, 1992. "An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 953-66, July.
- Olivier Ledoit & Pedro Santa-Clara & Michael Wolf, 2003.
"Flexible Multivariate GARCH Modeling with an Application to International Stock Markets,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 735-747, August.
- Ledoit, Olivier & Santa-Clara, Pedro & Wolf, Michael, 1999. "Flexible Multivariate GARCH Modeling With an Application to International Stock Markets," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt93s6p8gb, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Olivier Ledoit & Pedro Santa Clara & Michael Wolf, 2001. "Flexible multivariate GARCH modeling with an application to international stock markets," Economics Working Papers 578, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Joseph P. Romano & Michael Wolf, 2002.
"Improved nonparametric confidence intervals in time series regressions,"
Economics Working Papers
635, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Joseph P. Romano & Michael Wolf, 2001. "Improved Nonparametric Confidence Intervals In Time Series Regressions," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws010201, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Joseph P. Romano & Michael Wolf, 2006. "Improved Nonparametric Confidence Intervals in Time Series Regressions," IEW - Working Papers 273, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Joseph P & Romano & Azeem M. Shaikh & Michael Wolf, 2005.
"Formalized Data Snooping Based on Generalized Error Rates,"
IEW - Working Papers
259, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Romano, Joseph P. & Shaikh, Azeem M. & Wolf, Michael, 2008. "Formalized Data Snooping Based On Generalized Error Rates," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 404-447, April.
- Eling, Martin & Schuhmacher, Frank, 2007. "Does the choice of performance measure influence the evaluation of hedge funds?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2632-2647, September.
- Keith Kuester & Stefan Mittnik & Marc S. Paolella, 2006. "Value-at-Risk Prediction: A Comparison of Alternative Strategies," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(1), pages 53-89.
- repec:att:wimass:9220 is not listed on IDEAS
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1994.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 631-53, October.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Jobson, J D & Korkie, Bob M, 1981. "Performance Hypothesis Testing with the Sharpe and Treynor Measures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 889-908, September.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.