Temporary Workers in Italy: Who Are They and Where They End Up
AbstractTemporary work has been an important component of employment growth in Italy since the early 1990s. This paper focus upon labour market transitions of temporary workers in order to test whether temporary work enhances the subsequent labour market chances. We use propensity score matching to compare subsequent employment outcomes of people who have recently acquired a temporary job with those of people who remained unemployed. Individuals' hetero geneity explains a good amount of the raw differences in the subsequent labour market status of temporary workers and the comparison group. Yet there appears to be a sizable net gain from experiencing a temporary work. Our benchmark average estimate is a 30 percentage points rise in the 'satisfactory employment' chances 1 year after the start of the temporary work experience. The net gains are the largest for females and adult people and the areas with low unemployment; moreover, gains are the largest for the most recent years in our sample and for those people who were (according to the propensity score estimates) either least or most likely to exit from unemployment. Copyright 2008 The Authors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEIS in its journal LABOUR.
Volume (Year): 22 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma
Phone: 0039 06 2040234
Fax: 0039 06 2020687
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1121-7081
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Malo, Miguel A. & Cueto, Begona, 2013.
"Temporary Contracts across Generations: Long-term effects of a labour market reform at the margin,"
44275, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Miguel Á. Malo & Begoña Cueto, 2013. "Temporary Contracts across Generations: Long-term effects of a labour market reform at the margin," Cuadernos de Economía - Spanish Journal of Economics and Finance, ELSEVIER, vol. 36(101), pages 84-99, Agosto.
- Chiara MUSSIDA & Matteo PICCHIO, 2011.
"The Trend over Time of the Gender Wage Gap in Italy,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2011031, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Chiara Mussida & Matteo Picchio, 2014. "The trend over time of the gender wage gap in Italy," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 1081-1110, May.
- Mussida, C. & Picchio, M., 2011. "The Trend over Time of the GenderWage Gap in Italy," Discussion Paper 2011-093, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Mussida, Chiara & Picchio, Matteo, 2011. "The Trend over Time of the Gender Wage Gap in Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 5932, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Gebel, 2013. "Is a Temporary Job Better than Unemployment?: A Cross-Country Comparison Based on British, German, and Swiss Panel Data," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 543, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Caroleo, Floro Ernesto & Pastore, Francesco, 2009.
"Le cause del (l’in-)successo lavorativo dei giovani
[The determinants of youth success in the labour market]," MPRA Paper 14218, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore, 2009. "Le cause del(l)'(in)successo lavorativo dei giovani," Economia & Lavoro, Fondazione Giacomo Brodolini, issue 3, pages 107.
- Caroleo Floro Ernesto & Pastore Francesco, 2009. "Le cause del(l') (in)successo lavorativo dei giovani," Economia & lavoro, Carocci editore, issue 3, pages 107.
- Ghignoni Emanuela, 2009.
"Temporary Contracts, Employees' Effort and Labour Productivity: The Evidence for Italy,"
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 279-314.
- Emanuela Ghignoni, 2008. "Temporary contracts, employees' effort and labour productivity: the evidence for Italy," Working Papers 111, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- O'Higgins, Niall, 2012. "This Time It's Different? Youth Labour Markets During 'The Great Recession'," IZA Discussion Papers 6434, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sara Flisi & Marcello Morciano, 2011.
"Trends and dynamics in the Italian labour market. An empirical evaluation using RFL data, 1993-2007,"
Department of Economics
0661, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Sara Flisi & Marcello Morciano, 2011. "Trends and dynamics in the Italian labour market. An empirical evaluation using RFL data, 1993-2007," Center for the Analysis of Public Policies (CAPP) 0091, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
- Bruno, Giovanni S. F. & Caroleo, Floro Ernesto & Dessy, Orietta, 2012. "Stepping Stones versus Dead End Jobs: Exits from Temporary Contracts in Italy after the 2003 Reform," IZA Discussion Papers 6746, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bosio, Giulio & Leonardi, Marco, 2011. "The Impact of Bologna Process on the Graduate Labour Market: Demand and Supply," IZA Discussion Papers 5789, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Emanuela Ghignoni, 2006. "Human capital, unemployment, and probability of transition to permanent employment in the Italian regional labour markets," Working Papers 93, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Michael Beckmann & Dieter Kuhn, 2012. "Flexibility vs. screening: The performance effects of temporary agency work strategies," Working papers 2012/03, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- Ferrari, Filippo, 2011.
"Lo sviluppo delle competenze nei contesti precari
[Skills development in precariousness: the dark side of flexibility?]," MPRA Paper 33284, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Olga Demidova & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "The Impact of Crises on Youth Unemployment of Russian Regions: An Empirical Analysis," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 78/2010, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Maurizio Baussola & Chiara Mussida, 2011. "The natural rate of unemployment and the unemployment gender gap," DISCE - Quaderni del Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali dises1180, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.