Interactions Between Public and Private Investment: Evidence from Developing Countries
AbstractThis study examines the linkages between public investments and private investments by using Granger-causality and cointegration tests and probit analysis in a sample of 25 developing countries. The results from the cointegration and Granger-causality tests are further analysed in a probit framework by assigning the dependent variable the value '1' for the 'crowding-out' cases and '0' otherwise, and the explanatory variables are various components of Gwartney and Lawson's (2004) economic freedom of the world index. Using this approach, we find that the higher the share of government involvement in an economy, the lower the trade openness; the more restrictions there are on the use of foreign currencies, and the more stable and developed the macro and monetary environment is, the higher the likelihood that public investments may crowd out private investments. The model correctly predicts 10 out of 11 cases of crowding-out and 13 out of 14 cases of no-crowding-out. Copyright 2005 Blackwell Publishing Ltd..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Kyklos.
Volume (Year): 58 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0023-5962
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kočenda, 2011. "Corruption and Economic Freedom Links to Public Finance and Investment in New EU Members," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2011(3), pages 310-328.
- Ward Romp & Jakob de Haan, 2007.
"Public Capital and Economic Growth: A Critical Survey,"
Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(s1), pages 6-52, 04.
- Romp, Ward & de Haan, Jakob, 2005. "Public capital and economic growth: a critical survey," EIB Papers 2/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Jagannath Mallick, 2013. "Private investment in India: regional patterns and determinants," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 51(2), pages 515-536, October.
- Alberto BUCCI & Chiara DEL BO, 2009.
"On the interaction between public investment and private capital in economic growth,"
Departmental Working Papers
2009-44, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Alberto Bucci & Chiara Del Bo, 2010. "On the Interaction between Public Investment and Private Capital in Economic Growth," DEGIT Conference Papers c015_007, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Alberto Bucci & Chiara Del Bo, 2009. "On the interaction between public investment and private capital in economic growth," UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics unimi-1092, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Majeed, Muhammad Tariq & Khan, Saniya, 2008. "The Determinants of Private Investment and the Relationship between Public and Private Investment in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 49301, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kočenda, 2011. "Public Investment and Fiscal Performance in the New EU Member States," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 32(1), pages 43-71, 03.
- Nikopour, Hesam & Shah Habibullah, Muzafar, 2010. "Shadow Economy and Poverty," MPRA Paper 23599, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda, 2010.
"Public Investment and Fiscal Performance in New EU Member States,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp1006, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jan HANOUSEK & Evžen KOČENDA, 2010. "Public investment and fiscal performance in new EU member states," Departmental Working Papers 2010-07, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Erdal Atukeren, 2006. "Politico-Economic Determinants of the Crowding-in Effects of Public Investments in Developing Countries," KOF Working papers 06-126, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.