Horizontal Mergers, Structural Remedies, And Consumer Welfare In A Cournot Oligopoly With Assets
AbstractCompetition authorities sometimes require that firms divest some of their assets to rivalsin order to allow a merger to take place. This paper extends the results of Farrell andShapiro [1990a] and shows that, in the absence of technological synergies, a merger ishighly unlikely to benefit consumers, even if it is subjected to appropriate structuralremedies. For instance, a merger may ultimately lead to a lower price only if at leasttwo different firms acquire the divested assets, and if the merging parties had relativelyimportant pre-merger market shares.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal The Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 58 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
Other versions of this item:
- Thibaud VERGE, 2009. "Horizontal Mergers, Structural Remedies and Consumer Welfare in a Cournot Oligopoly with Assets," Working Papers 2009-10, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Emilie Dargaud, 2013. "Horizontal mergers, efficiency gains and remedies," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 349-372, October.
- Cosnita-Langlais, Andreea & Tropeano, Jean-Philippe, 2012. "Do remedies affect the efficiency defense? An optimal merger-control analysis," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 58-66.
- Federico, Giulio & López, Ángel L., 2013. "Optimal asset divestments with homogeneous products," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 12-25.
- Dertwinkel-Kalt, Markus & Wey, Christian, 2012. "The effects of remedies on merger activity in oligopoly," DICE Discussion Papers 81, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Wey, Christian & Dertwinkel-Kalt, Markus, 2013. "The Effects of Remedies on Merger Activity in Oligopoly," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79888, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.