What Do Farmers Want From Agri-Environmental Scheme Design? A Choice Experiment Approach
Abstract"Agri-environmental schemes (AES) have had a limited effect on European agriculture due to farmers' reluctance to participate. Information on how farmers react when AES characteristics are modified can be an important input to the design of such policies. This article investigates farmers' preferences for different design options in a specific AES aimed at encouraging nitrogen fixing crops in marginal dry-land areas in Spain. We use a choice experiment survey conducted in two regions (Aragón and Andalusia). The analysis employs an error component random parameter logit model allowing for preference heterogeneity and correlation amongst the non-status quo alternatives. Farmers show a strong preference for maintaining their current management strategies; however, significant savings in cost or increased participation can be obtained by modifying some AES attributes." Copyright (c) 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation (c) 2010 The Agricultural Economics Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 61 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-857X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Finger, Robert & El Benni, Nadja, 2011. "Farmers’ Adoption of Extensive Wheat Production - Determinants and Implications," 122nd Seminar, February 17-18, 2011, Ancona, Italy 98979, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Otieno, David Jakinda & Ruto, Eric & Hubbard, Lionel J., 2010. "Cattle farmers’ preferences for Disease Free Zones: A choice experiment analysis in Kenya," 84th Annual Conference, March 29-31, 2010, Edinburgh, Scotland 91951, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Greiner, Romy & Bliemer, Michiel & Ballweg, Julie, 2014. "Design considerations of a choice experiment to estimate likely participation by north Australian pastoralists in contractual biodiversity conservation," Journal of choice modelling, Elsevier, vol. 10(C), pages 34-45.
- Greiner, Romy, 2014. "Willingness of north Australian pastoralists and graziers to participate in contractual biodiversity conservation," 2014 Conference (58th), February 4-7, 2014, Port Maquarie, Australia 165839, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Rabotyagov, Sergey S. & Lin, Sonja, 2013. "Small forest landowner preferences for working forest conservation contract attributes: A case of Washington State, USA," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 307-330.
- Latacz-Lohmann, Uwe & Schulz, Norbert & Breustedt, Gunnar, 2014. "Assessing Farmers' Willingness to Accept "Greening": Insights from a Discrete Choice Experiment in Gremany," 88th Annual Conference, April 9-11, 2014, AgroParisTech, Paris, France 170560, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Christensen, Tove & Pedersen, Anders Branth & Nielsen, Helle Orstead & Morkbak, Morten Raun & Hasler, Berit & Denver, Sigrid, 2010. "How to increase the effectiveness of agri-environmental subsidy schemes through knowledge of farmer perceptions-a choice experiment on pesticide free buffer zones," 120th Seminar, September 2-4, 2010, Chania, Crete 109316, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Adinolfi, Felice & Capitanio, Fabian & Pascucci, Stefano & de Magistris, Tiziana, 2011. "Factors Affecting Participation of Italian Farmers in Rural Development Policy," 122nd Seminar, February 17-18, 2011, Ancona, Italy 99418, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rhona Barr & Susana Mourato, 2012. "Investigating fishers’ preferences for the design of marine Payments for Environmental Services schemes," Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers 101, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Glover, Jane, 2011. "Where has all the cream gone: How sustainable is the English dairy supply chain?," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108940, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Alló, Maria & Igleasias, Eva & Loureiro, Maria L., 2013. "Farmers’ preferences and social capital towards agri-environmental schemes for protecting birds," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150620, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Anastassiadis, Friederieke & Feil, Jan-Henning & Musshoff, Oliver & Schilling, Philipp, 2013. "Analysing farmers' use of price hedging instruments: an experimental approach," DARE Discussion Papers 1306, Georg-August University of Göttingen, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (DARE).
- Kaczan, David & Swallow, Brent M. & Adamowicz, W.L. (Vic), 2013. "Designing a payments for ecosystem services (PES) program to reduce deforestation in Tanzania: An assessment of payment approaches," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(C), pages 20-30.
- Christensen, Tove & Pedersen, Anders Branth & Nielsen, Helle Oersted & Mørkbak, Morten Raun & Hasler, Berit & Denver, Sigrid, 2011. "Determinants of farmers' willingness to participate in subsidy schemes for pesticide-free buffer zones--A choice experiment study," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(8), pages 1558-1564, June.
- Stine Broch & Suzanne Vedel, 2012. "Using Choice Experiments to Investigate the Policy Relevance of Heterogeneity in Farmer Agri-Environmental Contract Preferences," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 51(4), pages 561-581, April.
- Arovuori, Kyosti, 2011. "Explaining Finnish Farmers' Policy Responses with Environmental Attitudes," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114216, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fabio Bartolini & Gianluca Brunori & Laura Fastelli & Massimo Rovai, 2013. "Understanding the participation in agri-environmental schemes: evidence from Tuscany Region," ERSA conference papers ersa13p1084, European Regional Science Association.
- Mercedes Beltrán-Esteve & José A. Gómez-Limón & Andrés J. Picazo-Tadeo, 2011. "Are Production Technologies Associated To Agri-Environmental Programs More Eco-Efficient? A Case Study For Rain-Fed Agriculture," Working Papers 1115, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.