Agri-environment contract adoption under fixed and variable compliance costs
AbstractThis paper analyses the heterogeneity of compliance costs on farmers' choices to participate in agri-environment schemes. The theoretical distinction between fixed and variable costs is used to explain why factors that determine participation may differ from those which determine how much land participants enrol in a scheme. The level of fixed costs may explain why the smallest farms tend to be least likely to participate in such schemes. The empirical analysis presented in the paper compares models estimated with and without the hypothesis of negligible fixed costs. It also discusses the situation where the nature of costs can be identified and isolated. The results show that in the presence of fixed compliance costs, fixed transaction costs are a significant contracting barrier for smallest farms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Environmental Planning and Management.
Volume (Year): 52 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJEP20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Coggan, Anthea & Buitelaar, Edwin & Whitten, Stuart & Bennett, Jeff, 2013. "Factors that influence transaction costs in development offsets: Who bears what and why?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 222-231.
- Christensen, Tove & Pedersen, Anders Branth & Nielsen, Helle Oersted & Mørkbak, Morten Raun & Hasler, Berit & Denver, Sigrid, 2011. "Determinants of farmers' willingness to participate in subsidy schemes for pesticide-free buffer zones--A choice experiment study," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(8), pages 1558-1564, June.
- Christensen, Tove & Pedersen, Anders Branth & Nielsen, Helle Orstead & Morkbak, Morten Raun & Hasler, Berit & Denver, Sigrid, 2010. "How to increase the effectiveness of agri-environmental subsidy schemes through knowledge of farmer perceptions-a choice experiment on pesticide free buffer zones," 120th Seminar, September 2-4, 2010, Chania, Crete 109316, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chabé-Ferret, Sylvain & Subervie, Julie, 2013.
"How much green for the buck? Estimating additional and windfall effects of French agro-environmental schemes by DID-matching,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 12-27.
- Chabé-Ferret, Sylvain & Subervie, Julie, 2012. "How Much Green for the Buck? Estimating Additional and Windfall Effects of French Agro-Environmental Schemes by DID-Matching," TSE Working Papers 12-357, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- ChabÃ©-Ferret, Sylvain & Subervie, Julie, 2012. "How Much Green for the Buck? Estimating Additional and Windfall Effects of French Agro-Environmental Schemes by DID-Matching," LERNA Working Papers 12.23.380, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Mundaca, Luis & Mansoz, Mathilde & Neij, Lena & Timilsina, Govinda R, 2013. "Transaction costs of low-carbon technologies and policies : the diverging literature," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6565, The World Bank.
- Coggan, Anthea & Whitten, Stuart M. & Bennett, Jeff, 2010. "Influences of transaction costs in environmental policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(9), pages 1777-1784, July.
- Fabio Bartolini & Gianluca Brunori & Laura Fastelli & Massimo Rovai, 2013. "Understanding the participation in agri-environmental schemes: evidence from Tuscany Region," ERSA conference papers ersa13p1084, European Regional Science Association.
- Cathie Laroche Dupraz & Carole Ropars Collet, 2010. "Characterizing demand for domestic versus imported chicken in developing countries: the case of Haiti and Cameroon," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 201003, INRA UMR SMART.
- Kuhfuss, Laure & Jacquet, Florence & Preget, Raphaële & Thoyer, Sophie, 2012.
"Le dispositif des MAEt pour l’enjeu eau : une fausse bonne idée ?,"
Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement,
Editions NecPlus, vol. 93(04), pages 395-422, December.
- Laure Kuhfuss & Florence Jacquet & Raphaële Preget & Sophie Thoyer, 2012. "Le dispositif des MAEt pour l’enjeu eau : une fausse bonne idée ?," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 93(4), pages 395-422.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.