Interest Rate Pass-Through: Empirical Results for the Euro Area
AbstractThis paper empirically examines the interest rate pass-through at the euro area level. The focus is on the pass-through of official interest rates, approximated by the overnight interest rate, to longer-term market interest rates, which, in turn, are a proxy for the marginal costs for banks to attract deposits or grant loans, and therefore passed through to retail bank interest rates. Empirical results, on the basis of a (vector) error-correction and vector autoregressive model, suggest that the pass-through of official interest to market interest rates is complete for money market interest rates up to three months, but not for market interest rates with longer maturities. Furthermore, the immediate pass-through of changes in market interest rates to bank deposit and lending rates is found to be at most 50%, whereas the final pass-through is typically found to be close to 100%, in particular for lending rates. Empirical results for a sub-sample starting in January 1999 show qualitatively similar findings and are supportive of a quicker interest rate pass-through since the introduction of the euro. It is shown that the difference between the adjustment speed of bank deposit and lending rates (typically around one versus three months since the common monetary policy) can to a large extent significantly be explained by credit risk considerations. Copyright Verein für Socialpolitik and Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Verein für Socialpolitik in its journal German Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 6 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6485
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reint Gropp & Sandrine Corvoisier, 2001.
"Bank concentration and retail interest rates,"
Working Paper Series
072, European Central Bank.
- Peter Boswijk, H., 1994. "Testing for an unstable root in conditional and structural error correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 37-60, July.
- Heinemann, Friedrich & Schüler, Martin, 2002. "Integration benefits on EU retail credit markets: evidence from interest rate pass-through," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-26, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bagliano, Fabio C. & Dalmazzo, Alberto & Marini, Giancarlo, 2000. "Bank competition and ECB's monetary policy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 967-983, June.
- Marion Kohler & Erik Britton & Tony Yates, 2000. "Trade credit and the monetary transmission mechanism," Bank of England working papers 115, Bank of England.
- A. Calza & C. Gartner & J. Sousa, 2003.
"Modelling the demand for loans to the private sector in the euro area,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 107-117.
- Alessandro Calza & Christine Gartner & Joao Sousa, 2001. "Modelling the demand for loans to the private sector in the Euro area," Working Paper Series 055, European Central Bank.
- Kim, Moshe & Kliger, Doron & Vale, Bent, 2003. "Estimating switching costs: the case of banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 25-56, January.
- Ulrich Bindseil & Franz Seitz, 2001. "The supply and demand for Eurosystem deposits - the first 18 months," Working Paper Series 44, European Central Bank.
- Dermine, J., 1986. "Deposit rates, credit rates and bank capital : The Klein-Monti Model Revisited," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 99-114, March.
- Peter Winker, 1999. "Sluggish adjustment of interest rates and credit rationing: an application of unit root testing and error correction modelling," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 267-277.
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164, September.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald, 2002. "Consumer credit rates in the eurozone. Evidence on the emergence of a single retail banking market," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-15178, Maastricht University.
- Giuseppe Marotta, 2006.
"Structural breaks in the interest rate pass-through and the euro. A cross-country study in the euro area and the UK,"
Department of Economics
0549, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Giuseppe Marotta, 2006. "Structural breaks in the interest rate pass-through and the euro. A cross-country study in the euro area and the UK," Heterogeneity and monetary policy 0612, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
- Rocío Betancourt & Hernando Vargas & Norberto Rodríguez Niño, 2006.
"Interest Rate Pass-Through In Colombia: A Micro- Banking Perspective,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002909, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Rocío Betancourt & Hernando Vargas & Norberto Rodríguez., 2008. "Interest Rate Pass-Through in Colombia: a Micro-Banking Perspective," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(131), pages 29-58.
- Rocio Betancourt & Hernando Vargas & Norberto Rodríguez, . "Interest Rate Pass-Through In Colombia: A Micro-Banking Perspective," Borradores de Economia 407, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Sylvia Kaufmann & Johann Scharler, 2007.
"Financial Systems and the Cost Channel Transmission of Monetary Policy Shocks,"
116, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Kaufmann, Sylvia & Scharler, Johann, 2009. "Financial systems and the cost channel transmission of monetary policy shocks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 40-46, January.
- Johann Scharler & Sylvia Kaufmann, 2007. "Financial Systems and the Cost Channel Transmission of Monetary Policy Shocks," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 67, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Burkhard Raunig & Johann Scharler, 2007.
"Money market uncertainty and retail interest rate fluctuations: A cross-country comparison,"
Economics working papers
2007-04, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Burkhard Raunig & Johann Scharler, 2009. "Money Market Uncertainty and Retail Interest Rate Fluctuations: A Cross-Country Comparison," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10, pages 176-192, 05.
- Mayer, Eric & Hülsewig, Oliver & Henzel, Steffen & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2006. "The Price Puzzle Revisited : Can the Cost Channel explain a Rise in Inflation after a Monetary Shock?," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 74, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Claudia Kwapil & Johann Scharler, 2007.
"Interest Rate Pass-Through, Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
65, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Kwapil, Claudia & Scharler, Johann, 2010. "Interest rate pass-through, monetary policy rules and macroeconomic stability," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 236-251, March.
- Claudia Kwapil & Johann Scharler, 2007. "Interest Rate Pass-Through, Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability," Working Papers 118, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Gianluca Di Lorenzo & Giuseppe Marotta, 2006.
"Multiple breaks in lending rate pass-through A cross country study for the euro area,"
Heterogeneity and monetary policy
0602, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
- Gianluca Di Lorenzo & Giuseppe Marotta, 2006. "Multiple breaks in lending rate pass-through A cross country study for the euro area," Department of Economics 0524, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Oliver Hülsewig & Eric Mayer & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2006.
"Bank Behavior and the Cost Channel of Monetary Transmission,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1813, CESifo Group Munich.
- Eric Mayer & Oliver HÃ¼lsewig & Timo WollmershÃ¤user, 2007. "Bank Behaviour and the Cost Channel of Monetary Transmission," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 98, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Wollmershäuser, Timo & Mayer, Eric & Hülsewig, Oliver, 2006. "Bank Behavior and the Cost Channel of Monetary Transmission," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 71, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Henzel, Steffen & Hülsewig, Oliver & Mayer, Eric & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2009.
"The price puzzle revisited: Can the cost channel explain a rise in inflation after a monetary policy shock?,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 268-289, June.
- Steffen Henzel & Oliver Hülsewig & Eric Mayer & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2007. "The Price Puzzle Revisited: Can the Cost Channel Explain a Rise in Inflation after a Monetary Policy Shock?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2039, CESifo Group Munich.
- David ARISTEI & Manuela Gallo, 2012. "Interest Rate Pass-Through in the Euro Area during the Financial Crisis: a Multivariate Regime-Switching Approach," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 107/2012, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Ugo Albertazzi & Tiziano Ropele & Gabriele Sene & Federico M. Signoretti, 2012. "The impact of the sovereign debt crisis on the activity of Italian banks," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 133, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Dilem Yildirim, 2012. "Interest Rate Pass-Through to Turkish Lending Rates: A Threshold Cointegration Analysis," ERC Working Papers 1207, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Sep 2012.
- Petrevski, Goran & Bogoev, Jane, 2012. "Interest rate pass-through in South East Europe: An empirical analysis," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 571-593.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.