Retail bank interest rate pass-through: new evidence at the euro area level
AbstractThis paper presents an error-correction model of the interest rate pass-through process based on a marginal cost pricing framework including switching and asymmetric information costs. Estimation results for the euro area suggest that the proportion of the pass-through of changes in market interest rates to bank deposit and lending rates within one month is at its highest around 50%. The interest rate pass-through is higher in the long term and notably for bank lending rates close to 100%. Moreover, a cointegration relation exists between retail bank and comparable market interest rates. Robustness checks, consisting of impulse responses based on VAR models and results for a sub-sample starting in January 1999, show qualitatively similar findings. However, the sub-sample results are supportive of a quicker pass-through process since the introduction of the euro. JEL Classification: E43, G21
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0136.
Date of creation: Apr 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scholnick, Barry, 1996. "Asymmetric adjustment of commercial bank interest rates: evidence from Malaysia and Singapore," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 485-496, June.
- Dermine, J., 1986. "Deposit rates, credit rates and bank capital : The Klein-Monti Model Revisited," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 99-114, March.
- Peter Winker, 1999. "Sluggish adjustment of interest rates and credit rationing: an application of unit root testing and error correction modelling," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 267-277.
- Corvoisier, Sandrine & Gropp, Reint, 2001.
"Bank Concentration and Retail Interest Rates,"
Working Paper Series
0072, European Central Bank.
- Marie Donnay & Hans Degryse, 2001.
"Bank Lending Rate Pass-Through and Differences in the Transmission of a Single EMU Monetary Policy,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0117, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Donnay, Marie & Degryse, Hans, 2001. "Bank lending rate pass-through and differences in the transmission of a single EMU monetary policy," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/121618, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Kit, Pong Wong, 1997. "On the determinants of bank interest margins under credit and interest rate risks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 251-271, February.
- Neumark, David & Sharpe, Steven A, 1992.
"Market Structure and the Nature of Price Rigidity: Evidence from the Market for Consumer Deposits,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 657-80, May.
- David Neumark & Steven A. Sharpe, 1989. "Market structure and the nature of price rigidity: evidence from the market for consumer deposits," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 52, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tobin, James, 1982. " The Commercial Banking Firm: A Simple Model," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(4), pages 495-530.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-45, September.
- Mojon, Benoît, 2000. "Financial structure and the interest rate channel of ECB monetary policy," Working Paper Series 0040, European Central Bank.
- Linda A. Toolsema & Jan-Egbert Sturm & Jakob de Haan, 2001. "Convergence of Monetary Transmission in EMU New Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 465, CESifo Group Munich.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.