Sluggish adjustment of interest rates and credit rationing: an application of unit root testing and error correction modelling
AbstractA model with credit rationing due to asymmetric information is combined with a marginal cost pricing approach to bank behaviour. The resulting model allows for explanation of the adjustment of deposit and loan rates to changes of the money market rate and is estimated in error correction form. Johansen's procedure is used to test the hypotheses. The hypothesis that deposit and loan rates do not adapt immediately to changes in the money market rate cannot be rejected based on German monthly data. The observation that loan rates react even slower than deposit rates can be rationalized by the effects of asymmetric information.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/3369 is not listed on IDEAS
- M. van Leuvensteijn & C. Kok Sørensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2008.
"Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area,"
08-08, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Christoffer Kok S�rensen & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2013. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(11), pages 1359-1380, April.
- M. van leuvensteijn & C. Kok Sorensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," DNB Working Papers 171, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- van Leuvensteijn, Michiel & Kok, Christoffer & Bikker, Jacob A. & Van Rixtel, Adrian, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0885, European Central Bank.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & C. Kok Sorensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," CPB Discussion Paper 103, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Christoffer Kok Sørensen & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0828, Banco de Espa�a.
- Rocío Betancourt & Hernando Vargas & Norberto Rodríguez., 2008.
"Interest Rate Pass-Through in Colombia: a Micro-Banking Perspective,"
Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía,
Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(131), pages 29-58.
- Rocío Betancourt & Hernando Vargas & Norberto Rodríguez Niño, 2006. "Interest Rate Pass-Through In Colombia: A Micro- Banking Perspective," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002909, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Rocio Betancourt & Hernando Vargas & Norberto Rodríguez, . "Interest Rate Pass-Through In Colombia: A Micro-Banking Perspective," Borradores de Economia 407, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Chmielewski, Tomasz, 2005. "Bank risks, risk preferences and lending," MPRA Paper 5131, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jan 2006.
- Burgstaller, Johann & Scharler, Johann, 2010.
"How do bank lending rates and the supply of loans react to shifts in loan demand in the U.K.?,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 778-791, November.
- Johann Burgstaller & Johann Scharler, 2009. "How Do Bank Lending Rates and the Supply of Loans React to Shifts in Loan Demand in the U.K.?," Economics working papers 2009-02, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Tatiana Fic & Marcin Kolasa & Adam Kot & Karol Murawski & Michal Rubaszek & Magdalena Tarnicka, 2005. "ECMOD Model of the Polish Economy," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 36, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Bystrov, Victor, 2013. "A factor-augemented model of markup on mortgage loans in Poland," MPRA Paper 49683, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Bondt, Gabe, 2002. "Retail bank interest rate pass-through: new evidence at the euro area level," Working Paper Series 0136, European Central Bank.
- Chmielewski, Tomasz, 2003. "Interest rate pass-through in the Polish banking sector and bank-specific financial disturbances," MPRA Paper 5133, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 31 Jan 2004.
- Hiltrud Nehls, 2006. "The Interest Rate Pass-Through in German Banking Groups," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 226(4), pages 463-479, July.
- Gabe J. de Bondt, 2005. "Interest Rate Pass-Through: Empirical Results for the Euro Area," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(1), pages 37-78, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.