Target Company Cross-border Effects in Acquisitions into the UK
Abstract"We analyse the abnormal returns to target shareholders in cross-border and domestic acquisitions of UK companies. The cross-border effect during the bid month is small (0.84%), although cross-border targets gain significantly more than domestic targets during the months surrounding the bid. We find no evidence for the level of abnormal returns in cross-border acquisitions to be associated with market access or exchange rate effects, and only limited support for an international diversification effect. However, the cross-border effect appears to be associated with significant payment effects, and there is no significant residual cross-border effect once various bid characteristics are controlled for." Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Financial Management Association in its journal European Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 10 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1354-7798
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martynova, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2006.
"Mergers and Acquisitions in Europe,"
2006-6, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Martynova, Marina & Renneboog, Luc, 2008. "A century of corporate takeovers: What have we learned and where do we stand?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2148-2177, October.
- Anderson, Hamish D. & Marshall, Ben R. & Wales, Ryan, 2009. "What is the relationship between investor protection legislation and target takeover returns? Evidence from Europe," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 291-305, October.
- Moshfique Uddin & Agyenim Boateng, 2009. "An analysis of short-run performance of cross-border mergers and acquisitions: Evidence from the UK acquiring firms," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(4), pages 431-453, November.
- Kohli, Reena & Mann, Bikram Jit Singh, 2012. "Analyzing determinants of value creation in domestic and cross border acquisitions in India," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 998-1016.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.