Both Sides of Corporate Diversification: The Value Impacts of Geographic and Industrial Diversification
AbstractThis paper examines the effect of both geographic and industrial diversification on firm value for a sample of over 20,000 firm-year observations of US corporations from 1987-1993. Our multivariate tests indicate the average value of a firm with international operations is 2.2% higher than a comparable domestic single-activity firm, while the average value of a firm with activities in multiple industrial segments is 5.4% lower than a protfolio of comparable domestic single-activity firms.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research in its series Weiss Center Working Papers with number 98-02.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3404 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6367
Web page: http://finance.wharton.upenn.edu/weiss/
More information through EDIRC
GEOGRAPHY ; INDUSTRY ; CORPORATIONS;
Other versions of this item:
- Gordon M. Bodnar & Charles Tang & Joseph Weintrop, 1997. "Both Sides of Corporate Diversification: The Value Impacts of Geographic and Industrial Diversification," NBER Working Papers 6224, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Kaplan & Michael S. Weisbach, 1990.
"The Success of Acquisitions: Evidence From Disvestitures,"
NBER Working Papers
3484, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaplan, Steven N & Weisbach, Michael S, 1992. " The Success of Acquisitions: Evidence from Divestitures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 107-38, March.
- Comment, Robert & Jarrell, Gregg A., 1995. "Corporate focus and stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 67-87, January.
- Eckbo, B Espen, 1985. "Mergers and the Market Concentration Doctrine: Evidence from the Capital Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 325-49, July.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Weintrop, Joseph, 1997.
"The valuation of the foreign income of US multinational firms: a growth opportunities perspective,"
Journal of Accounting and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 69-97, December.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & Joseph Weintrop, 1997. "The Valuation of the Foreign Income of U.S. Multinational Firms: A Growth Opportunities Perspective," NBER Working Papers 5904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Errunza, Vihang R & Senbet, Lemma W, 1981. "The Effects of International Operations on the Market Value of the Firm: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 401-17, May.
- Hines, J.R. & Rice, E.M., 1990.
"Fiscal Paradise: Foreign Tax Havens And American Business,"
56, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Hines, James R, Jr & Rice, Eric M, 1994. "Fiscal Paradise: Foreign Tax Havens and American Business," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(1), pages 149-82, February.
- James R. Hines, Jr. & Eric M. Rice, 1990. "Fiscal Paradise: Foreign Tax Havens and American Business," NBER Working Papers 3477, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randall Morck & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1989.
"Do Managerial Objectives Drive Bad Acquisitions?,"
NBER Working Papers
3000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Philip G. & Ofek, Eli, 1995. "Diversification's effect on firm value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 39-65, January.
- Morck, R. & Yeung, B., 1991.
"Why Investors Value Multinationality,"
282, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Stulz, ReneM., 1990. "Managerial discretion and optimal financing policies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 3-27, July.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Agrawal, Anup & Jaffe, Jeffrey F & Mandelker, Gershon N, 1992. " The Post-merger Performance of Acquiring Firms: A Re-examination of an Anomaly," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1605-21, September.
- Linda Allen & Christos Pantzalis, 1996. "Valuation of the operating Flexibility of Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 633-653, December.
- Doukas, John & Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1988. " The Effect of Corporate Multinationalism on Shareholders' Wealth: Evidence from International Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1161-75, December.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Constatinos C Markides & Christopher D Ittner, 1994. "Shareholder Benefits from Corporate International Diversification: Evidence from U.S. International Acquisitions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 343-366, June.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Brewer, H. L., 1981. "Investor Benefits from Corporate International Diversification," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 113-126, March.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Ruback, Richard S., 1983. "The market for corporate control : The scientific evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 5-50, April.
- repec:fth:michin:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Laeven, Luc, 2001. "International evidence on the value of product and geographic diversity," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2729, The World Bank.
- Campa, Jose M. & Kedia, Simi, 2000.
"Explaining the diversification discount,"
IESE Research Papers
D/424, IESE Business School.
- Reid W. Click & Paul Harrison, 2000. "Does multinationality matter? Evidence of value destruction in U.S. multinational corporations," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-21, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Campa, Jose M. & Chang, Kevin & Refalo, James F., 2000. "Options-based analysis of emerging market exchange rate expectations: Brazil's real plan, 1994-1999, An," IESE Research Papers D/425, IESE Business School.
- Fauver, Larry & Naranjo, Andy, 2010. "Derivative usage and firm value: The influence of agency costs and monitoring problems," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 719-735, December.
- Glaser, Markus & Müller, Sebastian, 2006. "Der Diversification Discount in Deutschland: Existiert ein Bewertungsabschlag für diversifizierte Unternehmen?," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 06-13, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Kevin Aretz & Söhnke M. Bartram, 2010.
"Corporate Hedging And Shareholder Value,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 317-371, December.
- Guo, Enyang & Keown, Arthur J. & Sen, Nilanjan, 2001. "The impact of firm diversification and focus: The Japanese experience," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 165-193, June.
- Robert L. Conn & Andy Cosh & Paul M. Guest & Alan Hughes, 2005.
"The Impact on UK Acquirers of Domestic, Cross-border, Public and Private Acquisitions,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5-6), pages 815-870.
- Robert L Conn & Andy Cosh & Paul M Guest & Alan Hughes, 2003. "The Impact on U.K. Acquirers of Domestic, Cross-border, Public and Private Acquisitions," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp276, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Liang, Hsin-Yu & Ching, Yann Peng & Chan, Kam C., 2013. "Enhancing bank performance through branches or representative offices? Evidence from European banks," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 495-508.
- Elsas, Ralf & Hackethal, Andreas & Holzhäuser, Markus, 2010. "The anatomy of bank diversification," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1274-1287, June.
- Júnior, José L. R., 2008. "What is the Value of Corporate Social Responsibility? An answer from Brazilian Sustainability Index," Insper Working Papers wpe_142, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Eckert, Stefan & Dittfeld, Marcus & Muche, Thomas & Rässler, Susanne, 2010. "Does multinationality lead to value enhancement? An empirical examination of publicly listed corporations from Germany," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 562-574, December.
- Garcia-Fuentes, Pablo A. & Ferreira, Gustavo F.C. & Kennedy, P. Lynn, 2012.
"Economic Performance of U.S. Multinational Agribusinesses: Foreign Direct Investment and Firm Strategy,"
2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama
119763, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Pablo A. Garcia‐Fuentes & Gustavo F. C. Ferreira & P. Lynn Kennedy, 2013. "Economic Performance of U.S. Multinational Agribusinesses: Foreign Direct Investment and Firm Strategy," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(2), pages 242-255, 03.
- Cassiman, Bruno & Colombo, Massimo & Garrone, Paola & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2003. "Impact of M&A on the R&D process. An empirical analysis of the role of technological and market relatedness, The," IESE Research Papers D/500, IESE Business School.
- Gulamhussen, M. A. & Piheiro, Carlos & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2011.
"Do multinational banks create or destroy economic value?,"
Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers
esdp11057, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Mohamed Azzim Gulamhussen & Carlos Pinheiro & Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2010. "Do multinational banks create or destroy economic value?," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 36, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Mike Peng & Andrew Delios, 2006. "What determines the scope of the firm over time and around the world? An Asia Pacific perspective," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 385-405, December.
- Jory, Surendranath R. & Ngo, Thanh N., 2012. "The effect of foreign segment location on the geographical diversification discount," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 108-124.
- Bushman, Robert & Chen, Qi & Engel, Ellen & Smith, Abbie, 2004. "Financial accounting information, organizational complexity and corporate governance systems," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 167-201, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.